Post subject: Trying to start reading
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:36 pm 
How advance should I be before I try to start reading turkish books. I know the grammar and how it works, just shy on words. should I read and just google translate every word i do not know to help myself learn? Im having a hard time learning on my own... any advice..

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Trying to start reading
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:48 am 

Hello there - I've found that that the sooner you start to read the easier it will get !

I started with very young books (many of the series here get harder with each instalment) - they also have colouring to the syllables which helps ALOT with pronunciation ! .....

I read the whole book (out loud) front to back irrelevant of whether i understood it or not, then went back and did sentence by sentence - highlighting words i didn't understand and then translated just those words. I found i understood a lot more each time i read it - i'd go back a few after reading the next book.

It does take a long time but I found I retained words better.....I've been learning for just over a year and i'm now perusing the 11+ section of the book store hahaha

Obviously each person is different but it might be worth a go.

Good luck CK

Report this post
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:16 am 

Ckkinturkey wrote:
Hello there - I've found that that the sooner you start to read the easier it will get !

I started with very young books (many of the series here get harder with each instalment) - they also have colouring to the syllables which helps ALOT with pronunciation ! .....

I read the whole book (out loud) front to back irrelevant of whether i understood it or not, then went back and did sentence by sentence - highlighting words i didn't understand and then translated just those words. I found i understood a lot more each time i read it - i'd go back a few after reading the next book.

It does take a long time but I found I retained words better.....I've been learning for just over a year and i'm now perusing the 11+ section of the book store hahaha

Obviously each person is different but it might be worth a go.

Good luck CK

I like this. And it makes sence. Well done :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:32 pm 
start with reading the newspaper POSTA. Its content is interesting and easy to understand as it is written in simple straight forward language .

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 am 

thanks Its been 3 years and I still havent learned. I do not go out much and I have no friends here in turkey. most of my day is spent right next to my spouse which only speaks english with me......Im just feeling really bad its been 3 years and havent learned much. are there any libraries in karşıyaka area so I do not have to keep buying books just borrow them

Report this post
Quick reply