Post subject: Vaccinations for new babies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 pm 

Hello All,

My husband and I are moving to Istanbul in September with our new baby from the UK. I'm worried about vaccinations for our baby (as we are first time parents/new to the country) and we are looking for a doctors clinic/hospital that can help us out with all of these things. Can anyone recommend a good place where the doctors can speak English and can help us keep track of the necessary vaccines? We'll be very grateful for any info!

Also, can anyone recommend where we can buy baby equipment from that doesn't cost the earth? I've had a look at mothercare online in Istanbul and it seems very pricey. Are there any local brands?

Thank you very much for any help and I look forward to reading your replies,

Thanks!

Cookie :)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Vaccinations for new babies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 pm 

hi and welcome

Like everywhere there are good doctors/hospitals and the not so good ones. You dont mention where in istanbul you will be living. It is a huge city with many medical facilities.

Most doctors speak English and if not you can find another within your area. All you need is to visit or call when you are here. Children are very precious here so you can get all the proper shots for early years.

Formula stuff/food products for infants are imported so a bit pricy as are disposal diapers so it would be wise to bring supplies. Strollers and other baby furniture can be purchased second-hand.

Good luck

Post subject: Re: Vaccinations for new babies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 am 

The vaccinations are done in the government run family clinics (saglik ocagi ) for all children Turks or foreign free of charge.yes childcare stuff are expensive by turkish price standards but affordable ( I think ). but most important , there are a bunch of new rules have come into effect recently concerning residence permits among which that every foreigner must have health insurance which cost $1000 (U.S.D)/yr.