Post subject: already living in turkey, wanting to move back to usa
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 am 

Is there a section or a link talking about americans who moved to turkey, got married, and wanting to move back to usa........Not owning anything....

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: already living in turkey, wanting to move back to usa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 pm 

May I respectfully ask why you wish to return to the US? I am a US citizen living in the US, planning to move to Turkey to marry my Turkish fiance. I want to know everything I can before making my move.
Thank you in advance :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:00 am 

Be cautious, be VERY cautious!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:20 pm 

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I have a feeling that you could enlighten me to things I'm not able to discover in searches. If you would agree to talk with me my email is [email protected] I hope you will. I don't want my heart to rule my head.
Thanks
Daria(honey)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:26 am 

how well do u know your fiance, his family, his religious requuirements of you, his work situation and his military status.
As another replier has said be sure and cautious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 pm 

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your opinions. Actually I know him and his family quite well. We have skyped regularly for more than 6 month. I know that religion is a huge issue if you think that he is Muslim and I am Christian, but that is not a concern. We are both atheist and he was raised atheist in a modern family. I have met his parents and sisters, a few cousins, even neighbors. My concern isn't really about my fiance as much as it is about being in the country. I know that there are cultural and political issues that might effect me. Being a woman, atheist former Christian in an Islamic country worries me some. My fiance says that I am safe with him but I know that he is biased. He says that Turks love foreigners. What do you think about this please?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:59 am 

my email is [email protected] if you wish to have questions answered.
I assume you have been here and like the country. It is a bit difficult for sonmeone who doesnt speak the language but with practice you can prevail. If you are not married your stay here (visa) is good for only 90 days. Then as a foreigner you must get a residence permit and deposit in a bank account 300 us dollars for each month your new visa is for. You can withdraw the money after you get the visa but must be in the acct when you apply.
If you plan to marry you must understand the military service is compulsary for all young men unless they are attending school.

I have been here for over 10 yrs as a permanent resident.

good luck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 pm 

Thank you so much for this information. I was not aware of the bank deposit requirement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:49 am 

meeting his family, neighbors and friends on skype is like the difference between day and night and meeting them in person.

Turks are a wonderful people but on the whole not very comfortqable accepting a foreigner into their family.

Additionally you, as a foreigner married to a Turkish man, can not work legally here for 5 years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:56 am 

ALSO BE SURE to talk to a competent marriage/immigration attorney in the States beforehand. He/She will be able to lay out the possible pitfalls and consequences of the international marriage puzzle which regardless of religion varies from country to country. There are some basic documents that can be drawn up as a precaution "just in case". As you know, these are common in any marriage now. Money well spent to fairly and equally protect the rights of you, your partner, and any offspring that might have!