Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:39 pm 

Hi my name is Theresa and my partners is Kevin,we have a property in Altinkum which we have had for just over a year now.I was wondering if any one could give us some advice on travelling to the bodrum area by car from england.We will be moving over there in about March next year along with our dog and parrot and all our belongings! i would like to hear from anyone who has travelled with their pets if they had any trouble at any of the customs etc.. Also if anyone could give us detailed route map that would be very helpful too.we have just joined the mymerharba site and have enjoyed reading through all the comments.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:19 am 

Do you plan to keep the car in Turkey? as there are certain customs rules that may make this problematic. See other postings on this, but the long and short of it, is that you can bring the car in for 6 months, but then it has to leave the country for 6 months, and so on until a max time within Turkey has been exceeded.

To permanently import it, is from what I've been led to believe prohibitively expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:30 pm 

hello.i am living altýnkum 3 years ago one british family bring car from uk. first they went france after this they came with ship late they decided keep car here and they keep it but they paid a lot of tax. other uk family birng car from england 6 mounth late they take it to greece cos they have to pay too much tax for that they leaved it greece (without any money) late they bought here new car. cos tax is high it is nealr car price for that they prefer buy car from here. i am not recomend u if u will keep your car here more then long 6 mounth but your will stay here less then 6 mounth then u can use france and ship..good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:10 am 

As the others have noted you will need to check on the status of the car, if you intend to stay in TR less then 6 months then there will be no problem. If you are planning to stay on a longer basis, depending on your age, job etc you may encounter problems with keeping here longer. Also note that you might be eligible to keep it under foreign "M" plate regulations but you will have to lodge a depoist while you keep the car here, this is calculated on age, make, engine size. But can be dear and most find out that its not worth the hassle. Your best bet would to contact the TR Turing assoc who if you are persistant on emailing them can you give you clearer defined pricing.

In regards to travelling from the UK, the best route would be to drive to Italy, and then take the ferry to Greece and then drive the rest to the border at either Ipsala or Edirne. You can get a ferry from Brindisi or Venice. The alternative route via Serbia, Bulgaria I would stronly advise against I have myself driven it and its a long drive, with extremely poor road conditions and hassles at the borders.

Pets sorry I would not be able to give you a clear answer, but best bet would be to make contact with the embassy in UK and ask them for clearer regulations on it. But I do believe that if you search in this site the answers lies. Or possible another MM member migth give you more answers regarding this. Good luck on the journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:20 pm 

I am travelling from England to Ankara in January, so why not give me an email afterwards to see how it went and if I can give you any tips. Planning on going UK - France - Germany - Austria - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria - Turkey, so that I don't have to leave the EU apart from going into Turkey.

[email protected],com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:40 pm 

Peter

Just word of wisdom from a prior experience, the journey you are planning is both very long, and once you reach eastern europe you will find both difficulties in passing borders, extremely poor road conditions, whatever you are thinking double that and you are on right path, as well as not sure that Romania and Bulgaria have fully integrated into EU, when I moved I travelled through Bulgaria with a EU passport and had to pay small bribery charges just to pass, without hassles. You may want to look at going to Italy and taking the ferry, its both more relaxing and quicker in the long run. Have a nice journey whatever you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:49 pm 

Hi there

We're travelling to Didim by van next April. Our route is going to be Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and the Ancona ferry to Cesme. It avoids all the eastern European countries. If you want to pm please do for any more info. As to pets, we are bringing two cats over in 2008, but will be travelling with them by plane. If you go on the pet section of this website you'll find loads of information from people about the whole transport thing. I would worry if you bring your pets in by car that they'd get stressed. Anyway, good luck with the journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:21 pm 

The deposit for Turing is based on age and engine size. weight is no longer needed. I have all the latest prices which vary from 1,500 ytl to 100,000 ytl.

Also if you dont have a work permit then dont even consider keeping your car here for more then 6 months.

Also remember that if you bring your car here you will not be able to leave the country (remember you get a 3 month visa but the car gets 6 months) without your car unless you get the car inpounded at customs.

Dont bother contacting the consulate in Turkey as what they say is not set in stone.

regarding pets, as long as you have international health certificates and an up to date vaccination book you may bring 1 dog or one cat or one bird or 10 aquarium fish per person into Turkey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:00 am 
I also recommend that you do not drive through the eastern european countries. Take the ferry either from Venice to Patras, or Ancona to Cesme.

Not cheap but will save you alot of hassle. Also fewer problems at customs with pets. In Cesme they never looked at a single pet paper. Idem for Ancona. But be prepared and have them on hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:28 am 

My husband has done this 3 times, twice by motorbike and once in a car, and has had no trouble and the Turkish guest workers do it all the time back and forth to Germany. My husbands route includes Croatia, which we had no trouble with last year. Will ask for more info when he wakes up.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 am 

people who come just for a vacation have no problems getting in and out with a car as they are only here for a few weeks, but as the op stated they will be moving out here and will have NO chance of keeping their car here for more then 6 months. (unless they get a work permit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:23 am 

I dont mind paying import taxes to keep my car etc in turkey but what would it cost. i have a mitsubishi 2800cc 4x4 made 1995, also may want to bring my lambretta scooter 200cc made in 1967, and also can i take in a trailer or caravan which is what i would bring my personals in.no tvs etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:06 pm 

You should check www,taxfreecar.net and find the link to which gives you the table to work out how much duty you will be expected to pay on the car, in regards to the scooter you may need Starmans help or try writing to Turing which is the assoc who is in charge of this area. Expect that you might have to write more then once to them before you get a mail, but if you persist they do reply in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:15 pm 

Have a look at www,turing.org.tr

and www,trafik.gov.tr

You may find something.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 pm 

We are moving to Turkey in Feb can any one give me some information on driving from Brindisi then ferry to Izmir.What documents we need green card etc.How much would they tax you on a tv. We have all our furniture there but want to bring bits & pieces I would love some information please.

Thanks

Sandra