Post subject: Your advice is much needed regarding a move to Istanbul
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:08 pm 

Hello everyone

I would like to move to Istanbul with my two children aged 3 and 7.
1) I am a pharmacist by profession but understand that pharmacist jobs are restricted to natives, is this true?

2) if yes then I could consider trying to teach pharmacy in uni but don't know what my chances are to get a pharmacy teaching job ( do they have English speaking universities eg American universities?) and what are my chances to earn a good salary for the three of us, can anyone suggest anything? Somebody I know suggested I make use of my fluent English and Arabic in tourism or translation.I don't mind a complete career change in quest of a better life style (provided of course the salary is good) but I don't know how to go about it though.

3) can non Turks buy property in turkey? Would they have to pay higher taxes/ costs? How would I find a desent estate agent that won't use my lack of knowlegede of the city/ language and won't rip me off? Is it better to go for a flat or a house? Would houses Have all utilities like flats presumably do eg water, has, electric? What's the rough cost of utility bills?

4) there are so many different apartment blocks options when I search Istanbul property on the net. How do I know which ones provide a good quality buy? I get the impression( I might be completely wrong so correct me please), that houses there are older and have better quality built and are tougher whereas apartment blocks are commercial so won't be as good quality , would be more expensive to buy+ service charge etc
Besides I like to mix with the Turkish community so houses would be better for achieving this. How do I find a desent house, what areas would be good?

5) what's the percentage of income tax? What other taxes would I have to pay? Do they have compulsory car insurance like the uk?

6) what's the cost of nurseries there, a rough idea would be great. What about school transport? What age do children start school? Here in the uk my son who will turn 7 shortly is in year two, what year would he be placed in if we go to Istanbul?

7) what about healthcare how expensive is it? If say my job provides me with insurance would I still have to pay part of the bill? Would the insurance cover my kids too?

I want to have a better quality family life with my two kids and this move if thought about and prepared for would give me just that. I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me. Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Your advice is much needed regarding a move to Istanbul
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

I can only really help with the question regarding housing.

Houses will be more expensive, considerably. If you choose an apartment, go for one in a 'site' that is fairly new. These will be a much better option for your family - 24/7 security, activities for the kids, many other familes very close by, earthquake proof and so on.

I'm sure others will disagree, but if you want a better life for your young children, I'd recommend rethinking if Istanbul if the right place.

Oh, and I do believe only natives can be pharmacists.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 pm 

Dear Andy

Thank you for your message. I accept your point about going for an apartment in a new site. But can you elaborate about rethinking whether Istanbul is a good city choice or not? Can you share with me why you say that and where else in turkey do you think would be a better choice? Basically I admire the beauty of Istanbul and the fact that it's big so more choice of schools/ universities where the teaching is in English and we can join also the fact that there is a main/ massive airport there hence I chose Istanbul. Do you live or have lived in Istanbul?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am 

I agree with Andy. The centre of Istanbul is no place to bring up children and the sites of new built flats farther out are better value.
Having said that I live in the centre but don't have children.
It also is quite expensive here nowadays and you'll need a private income or savings to live on until you find employment.
And that is a real problem.
I can categorically answer that you won't find a job as a pharmacist if you don't have Turkish citizenship since a Syrian friend of mine here is a pharmacist and not allowed to work in Turkey.
Also the salaries here are low and my friends grumble about long hours and mean employers.
You'd be much better advised to find a job in the Gulf States, luck you, you have Arabic which is useful.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 pm 

Hello

Yes Istanbul is a very nice city for children to grow up, lovely schools and a very good life for children and parents alike. As a health professional you usually need to be a turkish national, however you could work for a foreign insurance/healthcare/private hospital, say working with tourists who need access to pharmaceuticals. The majority of universities in Istanbul and all good universities are taught in english. You can also find lots of jobs teaching english. Basically i know because i worked in Istanbul for 2 years in science and research. My wife is actually involved in housing in Istanbul. She has a lovely development in beylikduzu, called ilifecity, you can find it on rightmove overseas website. Its a community of 169 flats of which only 20 are avalible to UK buyers the rest are for Turkish buyers. The flats are large and all intergrated with each other with free intranet and telephone services to improve community intergration. Another bonus is this is a sale direct from developer so no estate agency fees. If you are seriously interested please let me know.