Post subject: Sucuk questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm 

I love sausage, but I generally have found sucuk not to my taste. When cooked (into eggs, in pastry, pide, etc), I find sucuk to be tough and overly spiced as it does not have a high enough fat content to carry cooking well. To me, it ends up tasting like dry, cardboard-y pepperoni.

So, the questions I have are:

1) Is there fresh (wet) sausage in Turkey? Is it readily available in (super)markets?
2) Are there soft versions of dry sucuk?
3) Is there a "sweet" version of sucuk? (yes, I am aware that there is a certain sucuk pastry)
4) Is lamb sucuk readily available in (super)markets? Is it's flavor distinct from the beef sucuk?

Thanks for any help :-)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sucuk questions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:01 am 

Hi
I am not much of a sucuk expert but I'll try to help you out.
First you got to be careful in choosing your sucuk because some of them in the markets are not sucuk, they are prossed meet. Buy only the ones that have Sucuk written on the labels. For better taste buy Apikoglu, Beser. The others like Pınar Maret are all processed meat and they taste like cardboard.
The best region for sucuk is Afyon try to find the ones coming from this area. (Cumhuriyet, İkbal)
1. Fresh sucuk can only be found in butcher shops where they make their own sucuk. I usually prefer them, but you have to find the right shop. But you have to consume it very fast because the longer you keep them at home they dehydrate and become hard again. You can never keep a sucuk soft forever
2. Soft and wet are the same the fresh sucuk.
3. I hope you don't mean with sugar when your say "sweet", this should never happen. But there are sucuk without pepper which is not hot.
4. I dont know about the difference.

All the best
Tolga

Post subject: Re: Sucuk questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm 

Sucuk is one item I miss from Turkey really bad. It is almost impossible to get some good sucuk here in the states. Have tryed mail order, by the time it gets here from turkey it is moldy.

And I am thinking when they are talking sweet, they are referring to something along the lines as seet italian sausage.