Post subject: Questions on the stretch Dlaman to Bodrum
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 am 

Hi all, if any one here from the Mugla area ( well, anywhere S.W TK ) i'll be glad to know if my estimate of cost of living for a rugged single male ,but with tastes and standards rather more country British than American, would top YTL 1000 per month, either renting an apt at a ranchers home or at a tourist inn.

Cheers and thanks-- Dan ( Egret )

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: RE: Cost of living in the S W of Turkey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 pm 

Hi Egret

Much cheaper than in the big cities! Of course you know that. In or outside the peak tourist areas it is very much cheaper. Also MUCH cheaper in the winter/year round rates and people might want you out or to pay silly money in the summer. Eg house rent in Marmaris/Dalyan (someone else can tell you about Fethiye/Bodrum) could be 300 to 500tl whereas in a village inland (if you could find the acc) 300 would be tops. **depending on whether you look for things aimed at the foreign market/taste or turkish end, you might not find all the facilities you might want - cable tv internet -everywhere and having them put in could cost.

Sharing would then be cheaper! House electricity 50tl pm, in a village less. Food costs with supermarket "exotics" and meat for one 100 - 150tl. Village produce and less meat, difficult to spend 30tl a week. Travel /Alcohol/entertainment eg cinema 9 Marmaris - 6tl Mugla.

Minimum wage (soldiers salary) 450tl, school teacher 800tl. 1000 is not going to have you feeling super wealthy but you can get by. You won't want to be running a car on it!

I hope this helps

Post subject: Re: Questions on the stretch Dlaman to Bodrum
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:43 pm 

Thank you Atasal for the informative reply ! ( and I apologize for spelling your name wrong in my first posting, misspelt Starman's too :oops: ) was in a great hurry and not smart enough to have written the names on a pad before getting into the writing screen. oh well, I learn the embarrasing way.)
I will keep looking in other board postings & maybe other forums and try to concentrate the info back here. By the way: in Asia or mideast I don't dare drive--and public transport in TK is great anyway better than in US, am strictly vegetarian, zero junk food, I find TV utterly boring worldwide ( they all copy the US TV networks, which have frequent interruptions in the commercials every 5 minutes or so, to show infantile pathetic stuff they call " movie " ), and I spend as much time as possible in the nature, beach, hiking. having visited TK a year ago, checked Alanya ( ridicoulous real estate bubble & pathetic boring narrow beach ), Antalya ( only YTL 500 for 3 room apts in NEW ( but shoddily made! ) buildings in upscale KonyAlti, but oversized for a single man in heating & cooling ), Finike ( nice litle town and beach but no real estate available ), Fethyie ( the new British enclaves hideously overbuilt & jammed with junk shops, tiny beach ) so i think the yet pristine Mugla region is the best for me that's left. I will visit there this year to see and will report here for any outsiders.
Cheers and thanks for any postings!