Post subject: Moving to Izmir in September! So excited
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 am 

Hi all! This is a bit of an introduction I suppose.

My name is Josh. I am 25 years old and currently living in rural Japan. I teach French and English in high schools here. I was offered a job through English Time's Izmir branch and I will be moving there in September. I am SO excited!

I lived in Kyrgyzstan for about 4 months, and the language (Kyrgyz) is closely related to Turkish. I can understand how Turkish grammar works and have a fair understanding of basic vocabulary. I am so excited to learn it!

I really enjoy painting, reading, and playing music. My #1 though is painting, by far.

Anyhow, I look forward to researching neighborhoods and the sort of scene in Izmir. Does anyone have recommendations on neighborhoods to move to? I have a 300 lira monthly housing allowance plus my salary through English time..

Anyhow, nice to meet you all!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to Izmir in September! So excited
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:12 pm 

Hi.
I can assure you that we are already friends!!

I moved to Izmir last year and know almost everything you need to know..so stay in touch until September

aysimasanli at hotmail dot com

kind regards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:27 pm 

Hi

My name is Ciara and im 23 and I too have been offered a position with english time starting in September too.

I cant wait either:)

Do you think english time will be a good company to work for?

Hope to hear from you soon

Ciara:)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:23 pm 

Hi,
Sadly, I'm leaving Izmir and moving to Istanbul for next year. I have been in Manavkuyu/Ozkanlar area for two years and could easily stay here longer. If I were in your shoes, I might choose to this place because rents aren't so bad, it's got everything you need (except nightlife), and from here you can travel to work or play on either side of the water (since it's VERY possible that you'll live in Izmir longer than you work at English Time).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:50 pm 

thank you vor the info:)

Do you know anything about english time branch in Izmir? Is it good or bad?:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 am 

I have heard good and bad things about English Time, although I have never worked there; but have worked with students who studied there. I also had a brief encounter some time ago with someone who worked/works there who seemed content. The standard wage for a tefl teacher here isn't too great, but from experience some places do offer considerably more than others. You will find that English time is situated west of Konak going toward cankaya. That area is heavily populated with various English schools. If you hold a delta cert. you can easily find work in schools for a good wage.

Its good that you are getting the housing allowance. Currently I rent fully furnished apartment along Mithatpasa in Kucukyali for 900tl p/m - however its fairly large and was renovated before I moved in. You can find fully furnished in this area from 600/650 and its only 10/15mins on the bus from English time.

Hope some of this info helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:09 pm 

Hi, as an English teacher who's been living in Izmir for almost 10 years I can tell you a few things. Use your job at English Time as a stepping stone, the private high schools and private universities offer more money and more stability. The money is usually quite a bit better and you will get yearly raises, they will always pay you on time as well as pay for your work visa and residence permit, and they will set up a bank account for you. Universities will get you health insurance as well. The most English course businesses will usually do is pay for your residence permit and they tend to do all they can to avoid paying for a work visa as it's very expensive for them. Not having a work visa also means they won't offer you a contract, it would be invalid and illegal as would anything you sign if you don't have a work visa, because of this they can cut you to part time whenever they want if business slows down (you'll lose the full time salary and probably the accommodation allowance) or, even worse, they can get rid of you. Not getting paid on time or not getting paid the full amount seem to be problems at quite a few places also, but no work visa (and therefore no valid contract) means you're working illegally so there's nothing you can do about it without exposing this fact.They won't get you health insurance or set up a bank account for you and your salary will stay the same year after year, no raises unless you get promoted to head teacher or management which you'll have to outlast everyone senior to you to get. Also, many English course businesses don't give holidays until you've worked there at least 1 year and they may not be paid holidays when you do get them. Make sure you know exactly what they're willing to do for you and what the terms of the job are before you come, and make sure permits, visas, and contracts are taken care of before you arrive so they can't try to weasel out of it once you're here and at their mercy. I know all of this is negative but there are some good English course businesses that won't screw you around, or will screw you around very little compared to others, hopefully English Time is one of them. Having said that, the truth is almost every English teacher I've ever known doesn't see working at an English course business as a career, they view it as temporary until they get bored and move on to another city or country or, more likely, find a job at a private high school or private university that would make a good career. As far as finding a lace to live, the general rule is that the further away from the city center (Konak / Alsancak) you get, the cheaper the rent. I would suggest finding a place that is 'for rent by owner' as they tend to not care about your permits and work visa or you not having a Turkish bank account (if that's the case), whereas an Emlak (estate agent) will need to see all this. It's also a lot cheaper as Emlaks are known as a big scam, all of them take a one time 'finders fee' which can be as high as 40% of your monthly rent amount. A good site to find places for rent by owners is here:

www.sahibinden.com

Use a Google map of Izmir to check out where the districts are in relation to English Time, bus routes, metro stations, etc. Anyway, hope this helps. I hope everything works out for you, Izmir really is a wonderful place to live with beautiful beaches and getaways nearby, you just need to find a low stress work situation so you can enjoy the experience.