Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:48 pm 

We have a three year old boy and also haven't come across a playgroup. We are considering preschool now but this has become a major decision considering costs. We know of a group of expats in Urla but that is a bit far for us to travel. For Turks, they don't seem to have the concept of "playgroup". Maybe this winter we can arrange something

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:18 am 

Dear mýlanz-blu and ljv21. nýce to hear about you both,would love to arrange somethýng for kýddýes and coffee,we have large garden and we have had all daughters toys brought over from uk ýncludýng her trampolýne ,lýttle tykes slýdes etc, maybe we could all meet up. p.s we also lýve ýn cesmealtý.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 am 

When we get back to Izmir, we will try to arrange something. We're still in Kuþadasý, summer's not over here just yet. Next week or so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:21 pm 

Hella Saida,

i am german and i live in izmir, bostanli. and here in bostanli there are villas with gardens and a few also have seeview, the area is called venedik site, close to mavi sehir. as far as i know the monthly rents are approximately 800 to 1000 euro. The neighbours are turkish, german, austrian etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:45 pm 

Hiya all!!!

I am in Izmir now, and have an agent (through my hubbies company) showing us around. However, the guy is very on the take (which I expected) and making the whole looking for an apartment almost impossible (which I didn't expect).

If anyone knows of a house for rent, with a driveway and walled in garden for rent, I am interested. I will consider all areas of Izmir.

I am able to move in straight away.

If the property does not have a driveway and walled garden, I am just not interested.

Thanks

Kara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 pm 

Hi,

In a building very close to mine in Bostanli there is a free apartment. It has 7 rooms i believe very spacious and is currently being sold by the owners, one of whom is a doctor. It has a driveway and possibly a walled garden at the back but i am not 100% sure on this. Bostanli is a fairly safe area also. One thing i mentioned above is that the apartment is for sale but possibly there may be a chance that they might rent it for a year before they sell it because it has been on the market for at least a month or two now. It hasn't got any problems as far as i know but two new sets of aprtment blocks are being freshly built nearby and maybe this is putting off perspective buyers. Also in the Bostanli area there are lots of emlaks (estate agents) you can check with. The phone number for the house is 0232 3642500. If they don't print the number private message me and i will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:02 am 

Hiya all.

Thanks for all of your advice over the months.

My husband and I are settled in now, living in a house in Urla. It is a bit too big for us, but after two months of "yeah, it's negotiable." and "we will call you tommorrow", we just took what we could find.

I have to say though, I am shocked. I have lived all over the world, and visited some dumps in my time (Honduras being one of them). But nothing prepares you for this place.

If Turkey gets into the EU, it will be a blooming miracle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:04 pm 

You consider Urla to be a dump?...or Izmir, or Turkey?

What a strong opinion you have in order to tie it to the EU.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:45 pm 

Obviously having travelled ALL over the world you are more accustomed to five star living... ask yourself the question....did you buy the house in the dark? As now, in the light, you see it being a dump.

There are a lot worse places in the EU so I can't see, with a person of your intelligence, how you associate housing with acceptance in to the EU.

I have been to Urla and yes it does seem to be a bit of a dump, but then again it's only just come out of being a village, and a very old village at that. You, being somebody who has travelled all over the world, I cannot understand why the hell you chose it. Obviously, big house, small money and forget about what you have to live with outside your door.

Holy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:54 am 

dear All

I have to concord with holly.

The country form the outside look a fantastic dream.

but when you arrive here and start to live in the FANTASTIC country what do you fell?

i hope you have not arrived at the conclusion i have.

this is a suggestion i want to give to everybody want to move to Izmir or Turkey, DON'T if you do not have a milion £ $ € or have a job offer from somebody ( they have to pay you a lot of money) as the life here is quite the opposite of what you expect.

this is not a simple opinion, I have been meeting with expat and it looks like that the problem i have incurred are the same (and I repeat same more precisily identical).

Good luck i repeat fantastic country but completely different of what you think you will find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:52 am 

LOL

Calm down guys. Anyone would think I was Kurdish, European, American, etc.

My point made.

Typical Convo's

"Hi, I would like to rent a property." Non Turk

"Great, you are from Europe?" Turk

"yes I am" Non Turk

"OK, that will be $2000 for a 1 bed apartment" Turk

"Erm, last time I looked, my jacket zipped up the front, not the back." Non Turk

or

"Hi, how much to fix a punctured tyre?" Non Turk

"Fifteen Lira." Turk

"Great, my car is outside" Non Turk

"oh you have a BMW, in that case it will be $400 for a new tyre" Turk (As they stick a screwdriver into the tyre) "see how flimsy this tyre is? My screwdriver sticks in easy"

or

"Hi, how much to insure my car?" Non Turk

"five thousand lira" Turk

"Are you off your head? Who could afford that?" Non Turk

"Someone who can afford a car like yours." Turk

and it goes on and on....

The real shame is, in order to get that extra couple of bucks. Turks are in the large part cutting off their nose to spite their face. Acting like children will not get a nation recognised internationally as a stable and coherant structure. In short, if any situation is not going the way of the turk.....then of course there must be something terribly out of order.

I have experienced this through all levels of this social structure and it amazes me. Beligerance is not a sine of strength. Extortion is not business.

If I were to say that I am a MEP, would I be treated with more consideration and held in higher regard? (by Turks) Would that treatment not highlight my point exactly? Good thing I am not.

Gimme a break.

Cue ALA (Ataturk Liberation Army)

Note to Holy...I didn't actually say that Urla is a dump. I like Urla. I was refering to the structure and majority of people I have met (across Turkey). Although i have met a FEW nice people also. As far as the history of Urla goes, it has been rather busy since Alexander the Great used it as a trading port many moons ago...however, you assume I have no idea what I am on about, therefor further chat would be moot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:30 am 

Are you sure you are living in Turkey?I can't believe you live in Turkey as I live in Izmir (Gaziemir to be exact) and I have NEVER encountered anything like this.The treatment I have received from all Turks so far is one of honesty, helpfulness and sincerity.Turks are willing to give you the shirt off their backs if you need it and I have never been or felt like I have been taken advantage of in any way by any Turk.And I don't mean just in Izmir as I have travel all over the western half of Turkey with the same treatment where ever I went.                            

Gimme a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:10 pm 

Hi All,

1st - KK, I really liked the jokes. Obviously even the Turks know that it happens. Sorry if I sounded like you didn't know what you were talking about but I came to this conclusion with what you had written before.

2nd - Azra, If you have never come across this kind of treatment then I think you will be the luckiest person in Turkey. I know my Turkish family and friends would be very willing to help in anyway possible but I'm talking about people outside the family i.e. the average person on the street. I don't say this because it has only happened to me, I say it because 99.9% of people I talk to, it happens to them too. When we get together we'll have a good chat about it. Even Turkish people will say exactly the same thing.

Holy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:38 pm 

Azra....did you get that job with the marketing dept in the Turkish Gov?

Come on, I am not having a go at ALL Turkish people. I am just saying that it is a bit of a culture shock when you have to assume the worst and be glad when it doesn't happen.

There are some rotten apples in all cultures and nations, not just Turkey.

Anyway, as I have said before...thanks for all the advice over the months. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:31 pm 

By the way, those jokes? Really happened to my husband and I.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next