Post subject: Native Turks and this Venue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:37 am 

A large portion of recent posts to this forum have been centered around interpersonal struggles about the use of the forum- mostly in the form of incendiary rhetoric. The main point of contention has several facets, all of which derive from a single issue: what constitutes acceptable use by non-expatriot native Turks.

The issue demands address -lest the function of this venue continue to suffer crippling derision; the participation of new and enduring contributers is being negatively impacted. It is my position that the situation is not likely to be rectified by we users, but is more aptly resolved as a mater of policy, administration, and structure.

Items I suggest be considered:

• Consistent enforcement of the primary forum rule: Personal or ideological attacks, taunts or provocation will get you banned instantly, indefinitly. Note that there is no exception for a particular ideology or reason for the behavior -or volume of contribution.

• Clarity on who ultimately decides who's contributions are welcome- individual readers or the service provider. Currently, discourse is consistently disrupted by unrelated debates on this very topic- that is, to be explicit, the role of native Turk participation.

• The creation of social solicitation boards. Such boards would be forked into three: Native, Expatriot seeking All, and Expatriot seeking Expatriot; context of the social connection would not be discriminated (socializing, companionship, language exchange, etc.).

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Native Turks and this Venue
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:59 pm 

I agree, that would be most helpful. I have been shocked at the level of aggression that has been allowed on this forum. It is a pity for the forum that it is allowed unchecked. At best allowing this behaviour will mean a lack of growth both in terms of the content of the forum and the scope of its membership.

Other forums that I belong to have a button allowing you to report a post as being offensive - that then alerts the mod on that particular thread. I would suggest introducing such a button here, and maybe giving warnings such as yellow cards to offenders, and barring recidivists.

Report this post
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:36 pm 

if you notice at the bottom right hand corner of each post, there is a button "!" that allows you to report the post

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:38 pm 

D'oh! So there is. Thanks!

Report this post
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
Quick reply