Post subject: SHOWER PROBLEMS AND SATELLITE TV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 pm 

Hello everyone or anyone!
Just joined - wandering if someone can help us on 2 x topics!
We have recently finished our beautiful new apartment in Side near the beach, and loving it.
1] as its at the top under the roof - we have a hot water pressure problem with the shower - that dribbles rather than gushes!
Long story short, the developers at a loss what to do - its down to us, so I am thinking of fitting an electric power shower to do the job - something like drawing the water from the cold rising mains to heat up, and forgeting about drawing on the solar hot water who's gravity fed pressure is so weak. - Does anyone have experience of solving this problem - or know a good local heating engineer who we could employ to fix the problem?
2] I guess this on'e a common one - would like to install satallite TV - who do we get to install a dish - and knows which one to get and which satallite to point it at - and which sky receiver should we bring over from the uk (etc) ? As we are fifth story under the roof near the big beach i guess reception shoud be ok.

Many thanks for any help,
ps: weve heard that expats get together in a restaurant near the Flying Hourse (which we havnt found yet!) - is this so ? would like to check it out - if we could know the details,

Tom.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SHOWER PROBLEMS AND SATELLITE TV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm 

Hello Tom,

As to your first issue, I am a bit confused, did you just finish building an apartment, or did you just finish renovating your apartment that is on the fith floor. Also who are the "developers" do you mean the people who own the building, or the people who you called to renovate your apartment? The hot water problem can be fixed but I need a bit more information from you . Though one thing you can look at is the size of the PVC pipe that is used to channel the hot water to your bathroom. If it's too big then there wont' be enough pressure coming through.

For your other question you want to point your dish towards Mecca. A 3meter dish would probably be best for you. also you could try getting a digi turk package, I hear the dish is also provided, not sure if it's installed also and if you have to pay a monthly renters fee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm 

Hello dreamof turkey,
thank you for your follow up. Sorry not too clear first time on post!
We watched our apartment within a small development grow out of a field - being off plan.Its been very well constructed - a small family run developer/hotel owner whom we got to know well and treat as friends - they also manage the whole thing brilliantly - looking after guests etc who we send over. So all the snagging has been done, and our own finishing touches, so the developer and management and owner of the overall site are one and the same. The apartment is on 4th and fifth floor. The water pressure on the fourth floor is ok, as it is sufficiently below the hot water roof tank to give a decent flow created by gravity - so I guess the overall down pipe diameter must be okay - else wouldnt flow properly on the fourth floor.
What I understand about the system is as follows: cold rising mains is pumped up the apartment block from a comunal pump serving all 9 x apartments. this then feeds the hot water tank on the room which is solar heated. Then the hot water is fed under gravity to the apartments - hence the pressure is ok by the time it gets to our fourth floor kitchen and shower - but dribbles in the fifth floor shower as only a few feet of gravitational fall before it reaches the shower head ( I even notice pressure difference if I raise or lower the shower head from ceiling to near the floor). The developer owner claims to have tried to think what to do - but drawn a blank - sais cant get a suitable pump that will work
(may be problem with where to put it). Thats why I thought of a power shower feeding directly off the cold water rising mains - thus by passing the weak hot water flow altogether. I guess it will depend on whether the cold water pressure is sufficient to run a power shower?

I think a 3 meter dish would be too big to get on the roof - and look a bit odd for our neoghbours! I guess I need to research a bit more - find someone who has actually got a system working for uk tv in the area - and copy them. - I was told the idea of a sky box was that you buy it in the uk and dont need a subscription for basic channels.
Many thanks - sorry to be so long winded!
Tom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm 

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. You could try this. Now there is 1 main pipe Galvanized pipe which feeds hot water to the other apartments and as it travels down the apartment, it branches off to each apartment. You could run a seperate like with a smaller galvanized pipe straight to your shower. I know the line you have now is the correct size to provide pressure to the other apartments, but it is not working for the 5th floor because it is too close to the source, and gravity does not have enough time to build pressure. So it might be worth a try to get a smaller line and run it directly from the heater to the shower. If you can't change the distance from the shower to the heater, you can change the rate of the water flow from the heater to the shower, and that will create added pressure.

Have you tried slingbox? it's a device made by slingmedia I think their website is www(dot) slingmedia (dot) com It will be like you never left the UK and its only a one time fee of about $120 to buy the box.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm 

Many thanks again,

food for thought about pipe size - I'll check out the theory with a UK heating engineer first to see if it will work before I tackle it in Turkey.

all the best,
Tom.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am 

Can't advise on shower but on TV it depends what you want to get from UK. We moved to Istanbul from Holland (orig, UK) last year.
Digiturk has movies in english and some UKliving type progs as well as sport and US sitcoms.

I went for a 3m dish (you are right, you can't do that in an apt!) and I get a lot of channels but not everything via a UK Sky receiver.

Pro's - some movies, ITV, Skysports and kids channels
Cons - Huge dish, 3000 euros, no BBC due to the satellite path and unreliable coverage.

Good luck

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 pm 

Hello Paul,
many thanks for your input. I guess I just want bbc, some news programmes, some sport.
may be here in Side have to point the dish to a different satallite - aparently there is about thirty of them up there!
Sky digi box is one to try - and perhaps I'll ask the BBC if they think there's a way of getting their channels.

all the best,

Tom.