Post subject: Mexican anyone?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 pm 

I have not moved here yet ( will be there in 3 weeks), but from what I gather, no Mexican food in Istanbul. I eat this 3 times a week in the usa (yes I am a fat ass haaaa) , can anyone tell me if there any ingredients in the supermarkets to at least make tacos :)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mexican anyone?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:18 am 

hi there,
I'm adicted to mex food too.unfortunately u can't find good ingredients here,but substitutes work very good for me:)
hopefully you'll like turkish food too (i don't...;)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 am 

A former Turkish instructor of mine in Istanbul purported to dine at a Mexican joint; I have yet to find it.

You can find chips in the market... sometimes sans-Dorito-esque spices. Tortillas are available in the market as well, often at a high price; however, I find the native lavaş to be preferable -often fresh, excellent flavor and texture. Excellent cilantro is readily available, fresh in market. I have yet to find tomatillos.

Like many regional foods in the United States, what you mean when you say 'Mexican Food' or 'Chinese Food' might have little bearing on what a native of those countries would expect. What a nightmare to finally discover a Mexican place in Istanbul -only to find it populated with US-Urban-Theme-Park-"food"!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 am 

I've been quite thrilled with Ranchero in Suadiye the half a dozen or so times I've been there. Not as Tex-Mex as you'll find in the US, but worth it when you need to indulge the craving. There's also a place on the main road in Etiler, but can't remember the name of it. Haven't been there, but have heard good things. You can also get plain tortilla chips at Metro sometimes, but no rhyme or reason as to when.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:40 pm 

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Kate I am going to check out that restaurant when I arrive there!! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 am 

Ranchero's
Bağdat Caddesi 468/A Suadiye İstanbul
Tel: 0216 380 65 01 - 02

Here's a review at the municipality web site: wwwDOTbagdatcaddesiDOTnet/v2/icerik.php?id=217

It's on the Asian-side. Here it is in Google Maps: http://mapsDOTgoogleDOTca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ba%C4%9Fdat+Caddesi+468%2FA+Suadiye+%C4%B0stanbul&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=27.31016,82.089844&ie=UTF8&ll=40.957086,29.088793&spn=0.015589,0.040083&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

(btw: this 'no links' thing is majorly LAME... how does the rest of the world cope with not having it's addresses parsed?)

I can't wait to take my wife! -thanks!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 am 

I know...I love Mexican food too but it is quite expensive and hard to find.

El Torito is pretty good (but a bit too expensive for me to repeat every week)
It is on the main street (Nispetiye cad) in Etiler.

Never been here but heard it was ok; Picante in Ortakoy & Asmalimescit/Beyoglu. Their menu looks fine to me.

As for supermarkets; tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa, cheese dips, mexican beans are more or less found everywhere. But as mentioned before the range is very limited, and quite expensive.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:47 pm 

About our experience at El Torino,

I read on this Thread that:

"El Torito is pretty good (but a bit too expensive for me to repeat every week)
It is on the main street (Nispetiye cad) in Etiler. "

Pricey yes good NO! buffalo wings were good, blue cheese sauce was so/so.

Fajitas (beef/chicken) were flat, literally no flavor , refried beans where white not Mexican black or brown), Salsa for tortillas was watery and flavorless.
The giant burrito had a flavor, however it tasted like some hearty Turkish stews not like Mexican burritos.

We wanted to order ANY of the half liter bottles that were listed on the menu, they cost average 25 lira. The waiter informed us that ALL of the wines on the menu were not available because they have switched to a new wine supplier, hence the new wines ( half liter bottles) all cost an average of 50 liras ( pass the 100% mark up to your consumers ... nice one!). When we got the bill an extra cola was added... but these things happen all the time no biggy

place looks nice though!

That was our personal experience there. Maybe it is different for you and trust me we are not fussy people!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 pm 

About our experience at El Torino,

I read on this Thread that:

"El Torito is pretty good (but a bit too expensive for me to repeat every week)
It is on the main street (Nispetiye cad) in Etiler. "

Pricey yes good NO! buffalo wings were good, blue cheese sauce was so/so.

Fajitas (beef/chicken) were flat, literally no flavor , refried beans where white not Mexican black or brown), Salsa for tortillas was watery and flavorless.
The giant burrito had a flavor, however it tasted like some hearty Turkish stews not like Mexican burritos.

We wanted to order ANY of the half liter bottles that were listed on the menu, they cost average 25 lira. The waiter informed us that ALL of the wines on the menu were not available because they have switched to a new wine supplier, hence the new wines ( half liter bottles) all cost an average of 50 liras ( pass the 100% mark up to your consumers ... nice one!). When we got the bill an extra cola was added... but these things happen all the time no biggy

place looks nice though!

That was our personal experience there. Maybe it is different for you and trust me we are not fussy people!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 pm 

Have eaten at both El Torito and Ranchero - Ranchero is definitely better, but by no means great. I think there is another branch of El Torito in Sultanahmet. I seem to remember another texmex place there with adequate food. Some restaurants do fajitas and quesadillas: Taksimoda (I think it's called) up on the square has a few mexican dishes, and there's a place called Kirinti (branches in Saskinbakkal and Nisantasi) that also have a few.

The supermarkets are starting to stock mexican spice kits/taco kits, as well as jalapenos, tortillas, avocados, and such. You'll find them in the bigger stores like Migros and Carrefour, or the pricier places like Macrocenter. They're pricey, but if you've got the urge...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm 

Finally ventured to the El Torito in Sultanahmet... had their version of a burrito: not bad, but definitely not as good (or as big) as what you find in LA, although the tableside guacamole was excellent. Expensive, yes, but probably as close as you're going to get to Mexican in the 'bul without doing it yourself. Try finding the spices at the spice market and DIY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 pm 

There is now a Moe's in the new Marmara Forum right next to the Zeytinburnu Metro stop. We ate there yesterday and it was WONDERFUL after really so so Mexican food we've found everywhere else.