Post subject: Winter in Ankara
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:22 am 

Hello! I'm new to Ankara and not used to snow! Are there real problems during Winter in Ankara? Can you walk down the street? Is it possible to drive your car or is everything covered in snow?? Sorry for the silly questions but come from a rather "warm" counrty! :D :D

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Winter in Ankara
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm 

Hello Peda,

winters in Ankara are chilly, but they don't seem to be as bad as they used to be years ago (according to local friends). We didn't get much snow last winter until March (!) when we got several feet of it in a very short time period. Things were a mess for a few days until crews could get out to clear streets and the weather warmed up enough for much of it to melt.

Even if it doesn't snow much, streets and sidewalks could get quite slippery. Make sure you have good sticky soles on your shoes. watch out for the marble entrance ways to shops too. the marble looks great, but it get's really slippery once it gets wet.

It shouldn't get bitterly cold, depending on how sensitive you are you should be fine wearing a sweater and a medium jacket most days.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Winter in Ankara
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

I also don't like the snow. Last year it did snow quiet bad in December I did have some snow days. The roads are slippery, so you need good gripped shoes and warm clothes. It does tend to get cold. Look for the weather trends and temperatures online.

If you are looking for English speaking friends I am looking. I enjoy sports, cinema, going out and shopping.

I am 24 and lived here for one year.

Sarah