Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:51 am 

I am looking for people who either know this school or have/do work for them. They are recruiting now and as I want to apply I wonder what they are like.

Thanks!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kultur2000 - what’s it like?
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 am 

Hello,

I've applied as well and would love to know more. Keep me posted and thank you very much.

Pamina7177 :P

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 am 

Any news Siduri?

I've not applied yet but am thinking of it too. Would like to hear from someone who works there.

Pamina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39 am 

Hi. I worked for Kultur 2000 for three years and I strongly recommend you look for employment elsewhere.
1. The school is very, very far from the city and school housing is even more remote.
2. The students are very poorly behaved and there is little or no discipline in the school. The parents pay a lot of money and the turkish teachers and the administration work very hard to please the children. Teachers who try and discipline the students often find themselves in trouble.
3. You will not receive a work visa despite what the school tells you when you sign the contract. If you have a work visa beforehand, you can count on the school to fail to renew it. When I worked there not a single teacher (out of 12 plus) had a work visa. The school uses this to their benefit in two ways. If they decide to fire you they will do so on the grounds that
you dont have a work visa and cannot be employed. If you continue to work there they do not have to spend the money on the work visa and they do not have to report your salary to the government so as not to pay taxes. The school will have you hide when government inspectors come. This is not true for other schools in istanbul and certainly not true for reputable ones. The school puts you in a situation where you are employed illegally. As far as I know not a single foreign teacher has a current work visa.
3. The school is largely a facade. A large amount of the money is spent on 'showing' what a legitamate school it is. You will find little in the way of resources.
You would do better to look for work somewhere closer to the city, at a different school. TED, Enka, Koc, MEF and others are usually looking for teachers at this time of year. If you have agreed to work there, there are a few positives. They always pay you on time, the teaching staff is great and you will make good friends, and you will get experience teaching in Turkey. And remember, if you have a difficult time there don't let the school hold the contract over your head. The contract is little more than a handshake agreement and has NO legal legitimacy (as long as you dont have a work visa).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:29 pm 

I have applied there two years ago and was offered employment. Due to numerous warnings about this school I have declined the offer. The school indeed said they would take care of the work visa but I spoke to one of their foreign teachers who said they won't do it, whatever they say.
Any other info I got was exactly what abracdabra wrote in her post.

About the other school abracadabra mentioned I also have some doubts. True, those schools will look after you well especially Koc and Enka but they still have issues. But then I yet need to find or hear about a private school here that doesn't have them.
It's mainly lack of discipline.
One just needs to be aware that those institutions are in fact businesses. The kids and their parents are the clients and they must be kept happy.
Teaching standards and quality education come second.

How happy you will be at a workplace also depends on your own level of professionalism and educational background. Being simply equiped with a native language and a TEFL certificate having taught at language schools one of those private schools may be the icing on your cake.
If you have ever taught in a normal state school in Europe/US/CDN you might encounter numerous frustrations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 am 

It is best site to used the advertise used new cars,boats, bikes with us across the whole globe for free. do not miss this offer and same in newspaper & sites. yes you read it right you can advertise your boats, cars, and bikes free of charge till its sold. please visit this this site again and watch the grow.

http://www.mecarz.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 am 

I worked for Kultur2000 in 2010-2011. I do not recommend working here for anyone. I read the previous posts and see that most of these things have not changed.

-Above all things your health is the most important. This school does not offer legitimate and affordable health insurance (despite what they tell you in your interview). They state on your contract that there is a school doctor; this is a lie, no one has ever seen a school doctor here even though we have asked many times. Kultur2000 directed the foreign teachers to a company offering private health insurance costing 1/4 our monthly salary X12 months. None of us could afford this. The fixed rate salary the school offers is also not enough considering the amount of money you will spend on transportation.

-The school itself is in an area outside of Istanbul about 1 hour drive (without traffic) 3 hour drive (with traffic). The housing the school offers is in a remote suburb next to an industrial zone with a coal plant. That's a 30 minute walk to the nearest grocery store. This housing is in a ten year old building. The inside of the apartments need complete renovation especially the plumbing and heating.

- The work hours are 8am-6pm. It takes 45 minutes to reach work every morning since Kultur2000 service bus picks up many other people on the way.The school often holds meetings after regular work hours in Turkish (no English translation); we get back home around 9pm on these days. The teachers are cramped into a small office space. 20 people trying to work/eat/talk/print in such a small area provides no room to concentrate on work.

- Forget about integrating technology in your classroom. This school still uses blackboards and chalk. There are ten year old computer screens in the classrooms but no computers; that's right, the screens are not hooked up to anything! The most technology you will get at Kultur2000 is a portable cd player. Although the school is pulling in tons of money, most of it goes towards faking the schools image.

- Kultur2000 will not provide you with a work visa. All of the current foreign teachers are employed illegally. If you want to quit your job or leave the country the school threatens to report you. It is Kultur2000's way of trapping you to stay. You will also be fined if you just leave without getting permission from the school. Since the school does not pay taxes for the foreign teaching department they will request that we hide from inspectors on certain days.

Look for work at another school closer to the city. Kultur2000 is on the bottom of the list.