Post subject: How to get youtube in Turkey - easy fix!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm 

Hi All,

After 9 months in Turkey having to either go without Youtube or playing around with proxy servers, I just found out something very interesting by complete accident. Ill try and not get too technical but just found this tooooo interesting. Quick explanation of DNS is needed to explain whats going on.

(excerpts from wikipedia - puts it better than I could)
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource participating in the Internet. It translates domain names meaningful into numerical addresses. The Domain Name System distributes the responsibility of assigning domain names and mapping those names to IP addresses by designating authoritative name servers for each domain. Authoritative name servers are assigned to be responsible for their particular domains, and in turn can assign other authoritative name servers for their sub-domains.

Anyway... moving on...

So basically what is happening in Turkey when you do a lookup for the IP address for www.youtube.com you are given the address: 88.255.41.21 rather than forwarding the query on to an authorative .com DNS server. This IP address takes you to a web server within Turkey with the page that we all know and love so well telling us we cant go to Youtube.

Now to get around this... If you configure your network settings to point to DNS servers outside Turkey - for example the old ozemail servers in Australia - 203.2.193.124 and 203.2.192.124 - the numerical address for Youtube will resolve correctly and you will be taken to the correct website - not the Turkish one. If you cant configure your own network settings or your ISP only allows you to use their DNS servers, you can still bypass this by editing your computers host file. For XP this is: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - underneath where it says localhost - (if it does), put a line like the following....

74.125.19.101 www.youtube.com

This will take away the need for your computer to use a DNS server to resolve the IP address and instead take you straight to the Youtube website. This IP address may change from time to time so you might need to look it up again and re-edit the file if things stop working.

Turkey in no way blocks access to the Youtube servers! - it only modifies the name resolution. Half baked censorship if I do say so myself!!!

Enjoy!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to get youtube in Turkey - easy fix!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 pm 

I use Pardus, a Turkish (and very good) Linux distro at work and at home. It's partly built by UEKAE, the national cryptography institute. The distro comes packed with its own DNS addresses that are different from Turk Telekom's. I sometimes ask friends whether the silly Youtube censorship is still going on - as I never had to experience it!

Half-baked or half-arsed, I ask myself. China has a small army of internet censorship people, figuratively and literally - at about 30000 people, it is roughly the size of the Finnish army. Now that's a country that takes censorship seriously.

Turkish judges and prosecutors seem to have little understanding of the net, let alone its technical aspects, yet they also seem to be very willing to shut down anything they don't like but apparently TTNet (or Turk Telekom) is really not in the mood to put any serious manpower to block things at the national net backbone level. Or maybe it's too complicated bureucratically, as the backbones themselves are situated at the universities as far as I know.

Fortunately, no one that matters is worked up enough to put together a legislation that "really" cracks down on the "inappropriate content". I really would pity them; that would be a Quixotic effort if ever there was one.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 am 

YouTube one of the ways on how to get views on YouTube is to make interesting videos or information. There must be something people see as funny ads, news about their favorite celebrities, animals, music videos, and many others. Look, what would the appropriate and relevant keywords that are associated with the videos too. In this way, users can view video results when you put a keyword in the search box on YouTube.

Buy Youtube Views

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 am 

Get views on YouTube is not the content of your video. Although it will help you produce an interesting marketing video to attract viewers' attention, you still need an extra boost for her to reach their target customers. Remember that there are other related videos on YouTube. Therefore, it is very important for video marketing higher than the rest of the videos.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am 

YouTube views to improve your view and location on YouTube, you can also get a higher page rank on Google, so that your website and corporate video more visible to the world of the Internet. So if you are looking for a way to promote your video to your online business, the best way and fastest to do is to buy YouTube views.

Buy Youtube Views

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 am 

To get YouTube thoughts because they want to become well-known. However, there are more authentic needs for increasing your thinking. Creating and publishing top excellent content that becomes very frequent can help you location a job in the click current industry. Moreover, if you post many films that get a lot of desire, you can actually begin getting revenue off of them.

Increase Youtube Views