Post subject: Questions about obtaining Work Permit while in Turkey
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 pm 

I am an American who is moving to Istanbul very soon on a tourist visa and will obtain residence permit and hopefully job and work permit after arrival. After much confusion, I am very glad to hear that many people on this site believe it is possible to apply for a work permit as an American while within Turkey if I find an employer... But I am still confused, since the US Consulate Generals site clearly says that you can ONLY apply for a work permit with a Turkish Embassy outside of Turkey, meaning I would have to come back to the USA just to get a work permit. I am hoping they just mean if you are not already in the country with a residence permit!

On that note... I will be arriving in Turkey on August 27th, but the earliest appointment date I could get for a residence permit is November 28th. Does this mean I will not be able to file for a work permit within Turkey until AFTER I already receive my residence permit? That is what I seem to be understanding, that work permit can be received within Turkey not going to Turkish embassy abroad, but only if you already have a residence permit. In this case, I guess I will not be able to work legally until after November! Is this true? Or can you hopefully receive a work permit within Turkey regardless if you have a residence permit or not?

Another question, has anyone had any experience going to foreigner department in Istanbul BEFORE your appointment date? MyTurkish boyfriend thinks maybe we can go one morning right when they open and that he can talk with them and get them to take me earlier than my November 28th appointment, but we are not sure. Has anyone tried this or know anyone who has?

Thanks for your help!!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Questions about obtaining Work Permit while in Turkey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm 

yes if you have a residance permit you can apply for work permit from inside Turkey but the snag is that the proccess for obtaining the work permit can take longer than the period granted in your residance permit. yes they would speed up your appointment if there is a valid reason. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:38 pm 

Thanks for your response. So that is good but also bad... As I technically will not be even able to apply for my residency until November 28 th and I would really hope to work before then, but cant apply for work permit within the country until i have my residence prrmit. Well, perhaps I can get my appointment for residency moved up, or have my boyfriend talk them into processing me earlier. Otherwise, seems like I will have to come back to USA to apply for work permit if I can get a job offer before end of November when I get residency. So complicated!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:03 pm 

Hi!

You cannot apply for the work permit in Turkey unless you have the residence permit obtained first. I had the exact same problem - I got a job but couldn't apply for the work permit because my residence permit application appointment was months away. I wouldn't recommend going to the police station before your appointment date because the date and line number are written in your application. The police officers working there were, in my opinion, all very rude and clearly bored with their jobs so I believe they can just make your life more difficult if they wanted. Anyway employers know that the application times especially for residence permits are long. Some companies let your work illegally without a permit until you receive your residence permit and they can apply the working permit for you and 'make you legal'. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 pm 

Eeenja,

Thank you so much for this reply... It's not what I was hoping to hear but certainly what I was expecting and it at least finally all make sense! I will have to hope that I can either convince an employer to let me work while we wait for residence permit or I will have to try to find the nicest police officer that I can... Haha neither may be possible but we will see! Glad to hear you were able to get a job, I hope you are finally working with no more problems! Do you mind if I ask what you do? I just very curious and love hearing about the opportunities available to us expats in Istanbul. I will be arriving Monday and despite these complicated issues, I am so very excited!

Thanks again!