Post subject: Cycling in and around Turkey? Anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 am 

Hi. I have googled the topic 'cycling in Turkey' and I am now quite adamant in bringing to Istanbul my one and only mountainbike along this coming August. The readings say that Istanbul is not a very bike-friendly city after all. No bike lanes. Poor traffic and cyclists are treated like third class citizens.

I have been a cyclists for 4 years and part of my lifestyle is bike commuting to and from work. I would be one happy girl if I would be able to bike safely on the streets of Istanbul and why not the whole of Turkey because I have done multi-day rides any way.

I have no idea if this is true. But still, I am hoping I could get positive feedback from cyclists/bikers in this forum.

Many thanks!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cycling in and around Turkey? Anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 am 

if you like suicide missions - than cycling in istanbul is perfect for you.... otherwise you should do it like i do:

put your bike in your car, drive out of the city for example to Belgrad Ormanı and enjoy your hobby there :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:36 am 

thermoking wrote:
if you like suicide missions - than cycling in istanbul is perfect for you.... otherwise you should do it like i do:

put your bike in your car, drive out of the city for example to Belgrad Ormanı and enjoy your hobby there :wink:

lol. but seriously, i would take note of that. most esp the bringing the bike out of the city. i won't have a car and i'm not planning to acquire one but i am thinking of carrying it with me on a public transport?

thank you for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 pm 

Yeah, I agree with the previous poster. Being a pedestrian in Istanbul can be dangerous...bicycling? Good luck with that. :P I was an avid mountain biker in my home country for many years; i.e. I am quite proficient on two wheels in urban areas. Wouldn't dream of it here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm 

damedane wrote:
but i am thinking of carrying it with me on a public transport?

i dont know if its allowed, but in all my time here i have never seen anyone with a bike in a public transport. and as there is a barrier in front of all metro and metro bus stations you need to lift it over your head and the barrier.... so if you want to use it to get from A to B in istanbul i would not recommend it and also the public transport is very well developed. but if you want to use it to cycle for fun outside the city its ok and sometimes i could offer a free place in my trunk....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 am 

Cycling paths exist on the Asian side so if you are living and working there and near the sea you would be able to use the bike without too much problem but even where there is a path, the pedestrians are not used to bikers so you would have to keep your speed down.

I had dreams of biking around Turkey and met a lot of long distance bikers who had metal implants after being knocked off the roads so I keep off the roads and do more walking!

If you have a bike there is some great biking in the south - try Bodrum to Gokova and google for a bike safari which leaves Istanbul by train and travels with support vehicle down the Aegean, through to Kas and then inland to Cappadocia.

One of the organisers is Sonja who works at Kaunos Tourism in Dalyan but the others are probably Dutch.

Have fun and keep safe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 am 

teachinggypsy wrote:
Yeah, I agree with the previous poster. Being a pedestrian in Istanbul can be dangerous...bicycling? Good luck with that. :P I was an avid mountain biker in my home country for many years; i.e. I am quite proficient on two wheels in urban areas. Wouldn't dream of it here.

yikes. the hopes are slimming down. thanks for your reply teachinggypsy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:03 am 

thermoking wrote:
damedane wrote:
but i am thinking of carrying it with me on a public transport?

i dont know if its allowed, but in all my time here i have never seen anyone with a bike in a public transport. and as there is a barrier in front of all metro and metro bus stations you need to lift it over your head and the barrier.... so if you want to use it to get from A to B in istanbul i would not recommend it and also the public transport is very well developed. but if you want to use it to cycle for fun outside the city its ok and sometimes i could offer a free place in my trunk....

Oh I see. Here in my country, cyclists (folding bikes only) have a been allocated their designated car so we can get on and off the train with our bikes.

But thanks for the invitation! Looking forward to that ride. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 am 

atasal wrote:
Cycling paths exist on the Asian side so if you are living and working there and near the sea you would be able to use the bike without too much problem but even where there is a path, the pedestrians are not used to bikers so you would have to keep your speed down.

I had dreams of biking around Turkey and met a lot of long distance bikers who had metal implants after being knocked off the roads so I keep off the roads and do more walking!

If you have a bike there is some great biking in the south - try Bodrum to Gokova and google for a bike safari which leaves Istanbul by train and travels with support vehicle down the Aegean, through to Kas and then inland to Cappadocia.

One of the organisers is Sonja who works at Kaunos Tourism in Dalyan but the others are probably Dutch.

Have fun and keep safe

Scary. but better be safe than sorry.
I think I am staying in Istanbul but I overheard it could still change like Duzce and I think both lie on the European side.

I think the safari caters motorbikers. And I prefer the non-motorized.

Thank you for your response!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:20 am 

When you know its a non-biker friendly place, why you still want to do it? why not just take up another hobby atleast for this place. there is surfing, kayaking and other outdoor activities too in Istanbul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm 

I have just moved to Suadyie, Kadikoy with my husband and three little boys and am a road cyclist and am having my bike shipped over from Ireland. I am hoping to start with a road biking group here once my bike arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 am 

The safari lot are not motorized. Yes there are motorbike tours but that one is pedal only. I have friends who cycled a tandem through Turkey and then Iran and the traffic in Turkey frightened them more than anything!

Visit the bike shops because they have links with weekend bikers