Post subject: How hard getting a work permit for company owners
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm 

Hi everyone and thanks for giving me a minute.

We are a British company operating in Asia pacific and we are looking at registering our company in Turkey with a small office to start.
If we need to register a consultancy company and get work permits for 2 foreigners, do we need to hire 10 local people in return? is there any other way? (thats what i read on the Gov website)

We will not be hiring more than 2 local staff for a start, would that be possible?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Jonathan

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How hard getting a work permit for company owners
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

It may be a good question as i am interested in this question too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 am 

It terribly seems like it, i checked the Labor ministry and also a local Visa service office and relocation:

(1) At the workplace for which the work permit is requested, at least five persons who are citizens of the Republic of Turkey have to be employed. If the foreigner requesting work permit is a co-partner of the company, aforementioned condition related to the employment of five persons who are Turkish citizens will be required for the last six months of one-year work permit to be granted by the Ministry. In case of requesting work permit for more than one foreigner at the same workplace, for each foreigner following the first foreigner who is granted a work permit, the condition regarding the employment of five persons who are Turkish citizens will be obligatory on individual basis.

• As for corporate bodies that have intention to employ foreign experts in the fields of construction,engineering, contractorship and consultancy services, payslips of Turkish citizens working in the same positions and the contract between the foreign expert and the employer (scanned and sent online during electronic application)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm 

What sort of registration are you going for?

You can register as a company, a branch or as a representative office. I believe (still waiting on our accountants to confirm this along with a number of tax questions) that as a rep office and you pay your employees from outside the country you won't have a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 am 

Thanks Worcester.

We're looking at setting up a local limited company.

Would it be easier to have a Rep office in Turkey, bring in 2~3 expats and obtain work permits for them without having any locals employed?

It wouldnt make a difference for us where they're paid as we have no operations in Turkey, just a service office.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 am 

The best way would be to setup the limited company with / without a Turkish partner and then the foreign workers as consultants as they wouldn't require work visas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am 

can I have some explenations about the fact that foreign workers as consultants would'nt need a work visa? I am in a similiar situation so I would like to have some legal reference about it!
thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

If a foreign citizen earns money from the Company, even he/she is the consultant, should need working permit. The goverment mentality depends on making money.
So the best way, hire and have an agreement with a Turkish agency to follow your business and earn money on behalf of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:18 am 

An alternative solution would be to find someone suitably qualified with dual nationality who could set up the company legally.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:14 am 

Dear Cameiro,
If you set up a branch or a ltd company: You have to employ 5 Turkish citizens for each foreign employee. For 2 foreigners, you need to employ 10 Turkish citizen.
If you set up a liason office: If you appoint one of the foreigners as the General Manager (you need a apostiled decision from the company abroad and this has to be announced in the Trade Registry Gazette), you do not need to employ 5 Turkish citizen for the General Manager. However you still need to employ 5 Turkish for the other foreigner. Please note that liaison offices cannot issue invoices.