Post subject: Registering phone IMEI in Turkey after being blocked on tour
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 pm 

So I just arrived in Istanbul, Turkey about a week ago and will be staying here for the next 8 months. I have a friend who speaks fluent Turkish and English, so he helped me go get a phone plan for my iPhone. I always thought you had to have a permanent residency visa to register your phone here, so I thought I'd just try and get a plan for my phone now, and wait tell it gets blocked. Then once I get my residency visa (december 30th) ill register the phone. But I cant do that because I have to register the phone within 30 days of entering the country. So I got the plan though 2 days ago, and just got a text saying my phone will be shut off in 5 days. My questions for any of you guys are:

1. Can I register the phone on just a tourist 90 day visa? Not a permanent visa.
2. Now that my phone has been put on the block list, can I still go try to register it at a bank, tax office or post office?
3. Do I have to first unblock my phone(how?) then register it?

Thank you guys so much!
P.S. I would just go to a bank today and try to get this sorted out, but its the sacrifice holiday so I dont think anything will be open tell friday (2 days from now).

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Registering phone IMEI in Turkey after being blocked on tour
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:48 pm 

Firstly,i suggest you check with a service supplier that your phone would/would not be unblocked if officially registered.If yes,then get & pay the tax quickly before your 30 days expires,or after that time there is no way you can register it.You don't need residency to register.Of course you won't get your phone unblocked until you've paid the tax & registered it.If Turkcell/Vodafone etc say they will unblock & you pay the tax then register,then it may take a week or so before it is unblocked, but check first,rules here change by the day..don't 'expect' anything!.

Profile Send private message E-mail