Post subject: Best card for foreign exchange? Incl. TRNC and Islamic banks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 am 

I understand all I need is a Turkish tax number to be able to apply for a bank account & card.

What I would like:

- Most cards entail a 1%, 2%, 3% etc. foreign exchange fee when used abroad. I am looking for the card with the 0% forex fee if possible. The most important criteria!
- It can have a modest foreign fixed ATM fee like TRY 3 but definitely not TRY 6. Can be free as well but not necessary.
- The account can be free but it is also not necessary. I rather pay a monthly fee for the account if forex fees are 0% and foreign ATM fees are cheap or possibly also free

Additionally:
- Nice service, they speak English (obviously)
- For Internet banking I don't like the token devices, SMS is better especially if I can also get the verification codes to a foreign number. What else do they use besides token and SMS? Oh, dedicated smartphone apps I don't like either.
- I heard a lot about Islamic banking, heck, I would try it. They must be nicer, aren't they?
- What about Turkish vs. TRNC banking? Some bank in TRNC are in the Turkish system whose IBAN code start with TR. How about the 'real' TRNC banks?
- Interest is not need to be paid on the account. I'd rather vote for better service than interest paid.

With which banks did you have good experiences? With which banks did you have bad experiences?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Best card for foreign exchange? Incl. TRNC and Islamic banks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 am 

Then what are good banks by other means? I still need SMS verification (which works on a foreign number as well) or other security measure rather than a token and that they can send not the initial but possible later replacement cards abroad.

What are bad banks by other means to avoid? That is good to know as well. I care much more about level of service than stability since I only put some spending money into the account, much less than the state deposit insurance level.

Profile Send private message