Post subject: Moving to Ankara
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 am 

I'm British and moving to Ankara in a few weeks.

My salary is relatively good however I am wondering is it an expensive city compared to other international cities?

What is cheap? And what is expensive?

I'm British and in my early thirties, happy to meet up with anyone (of any age or nationality) who likes a glass of wine, good food or coffee and brunch.

Best wishes

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to Ankara
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm 

Well.. as you know Ankara is the capital of Turkey, not as cosmopolitan as Istanbul. Lots of government / education / foreign business can be found..

if you are asking if cost of living is low - comparing to London for example - yes it is, - of course that is a response without knowing your life style. typical (delicious) dinner for two may be 60 lira.. (don't know the recent conversion of the British Pound.. but you can find that from Google easily. :))

You will find delicious food, good shopping, historical sites / museums.. There are lots of busses and some metro service, they are cost efficient. easily walkable, lots of activities one can easily fill the day with.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 am 

Cost of living depends on how you live. Compared to UK, specifically rent and labor are cheaper. I can't say the same for imported stuff such as electronic commodities. So bring your computer, phone etc when moving. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:24 pm 

Hey rose_dragon, I noticed you posted this a couple of months back and was wondering how you got on. I'm also in a similiar situation. Been offered a job in Ankara and not too sure if moving away from London is the wisest decision. The salary offered is quite poor compared to UK standards however I really do want to move as I've been to Turkey whilst travelling and think it's actually a beautiful country. Let me know how you've got on

Best wishes