Post subject: Credit Cards
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 pm 

Would like to get a Turkish credit card since my US card would charge a fee. Will I have trouble getting a card since I wont have a Job? Are there Free credit cards or cards with money back?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Credit Cards
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:25 am 

You have really touched a sensitive topic. Bank are making a lot of money due to annual fees.
Ever year I am calling the bank and asking them to cancel the annual fee and threatining them to leave if they don't. And they do cancel it. However it is annoying.

The last I remember , a new law was going to be enacted where every bank would be forced to offer at least one card free of annual fees. I don't recall what happened eventually.

Even if you don't have a formal job, as long as you can prove that you have income, banks would happily give you a credit card :)

Diclaimer : I have no affiliation with any bank. I am just guessing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 pm 

Orcunc,

Thanks for the information. Is the annual fee a fixed rate or based on your balance? Do most of the banks have the same fees?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:06 am 

dear ryan

Over the past year ıt seems you have asked the same questions but I understand that you wish to get everything correct before your big move.

Each bank has a different fee system for their accounts. Fees are nominal and negotiated. As I have posted before if you can open a citibank account in the states and get a credit card attached to that account you will save a lot of money in fees associated with transferring funds when you open a US dollar account in citibank here. The US government does not send monthly checks to turkish banks so your retirement checks would have to be direct deposited to the bank in the states.

You will have to open a separate dollar account and a lira account here. Again I suggest you deal with işbank for their expertise both online and in person. Get your money from states to citibank then transfer it into ışbank dollar account then convert it into turkish lira into your lira acct.

The health insurance you have in the states is worthless here. There is zero coverage. You will have to get private insurance for you and wife to get residence here. You will have to have proof with you that the coverage is in effect. Additionally, depending upon what office you go to and in what area of turkey you will live, you must have either 300 or 500 US dollars per month per person at time of application for the extension of your visa. You will not be issued a long term visa when you first come here. You will need a tax number and proof and where you live.

As a long term resident of turkey(wife is turkish) I can assure you that the politics of getting things done is very frustrating but if you keep your cool it will happen but not as fast as you would like.

I again strongly advise not to purchase a home here before arriving or when you first set foot here. You have to get the lay of the land, your neighbors, the shopping, transportation etc. Rentals vary from city to city and sections of the cities. Location, location location is the key. Construction of apartments here is at an all time high and there are so so many vacancies. Real estate agents usually charge 1 month fee for the service.
Purchasing a place is easy. What one must concern themselves is the monthly fees associated with the unit and if the place is legal. It is estimated that most of the homes in turkey are illegal as far as the title is concerned but people live there anyway and buy and sell them easily. There are no procedures such as in the states, title searches, lawyers going over the sale etc. One has to be careful, when purchasing, that the prior owner did not owe money for utilities and/or monthly fees for which you as a new purchaser would be responsible.
We live in a magnificent area of istanbul and monthly fees for the same size flats can vary from 80 lira per month to 300.It all depends on the administration of the units and the efficiency. If you have people that you know who reside here contact them.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

matt