Post subject: Homeschooling, Play dates, Piano Lessons and Socialization
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 am 

Hello,

I am an American living here in Istanbul on the Asian side in Kadikoy district with my 7 year old daughter and Turkish husband. We are planning to homeschool her the rest of this school year as she does not speak Turkish. She is also interested in learning to play piano. Any info on English speaking piano instructors, Turkish courses for children, Homeschooling in Turkey and play groups or social activities would be greatly appreciated as I would like her transition into this wonderful country to be as enjoyable as possible and not lacking of the things she has enjoyed back in America.

Thanks!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Homeschooling, Play dates, Piano Lessons and Socialization
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm 

have you been able to find anything regarding homeschooling in Turkey at all? would love to know.

Post subject: Re: Homeschooling, Play dates, Piano Lessons and Socialization
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:33 pm 

Topic of Homeschooling is not very permitable in this country, trust me I have been trying to collect information for a year. As lonfg as your child is registered on your current address in Turkey you will recieve notification from your local school. I am not sure how this notification can be inforced, or followed by the authorities but such procedure exists. Additionally, there is a penalty of 5 or 7 TL for each day you are not seding your child to shcool :) ( not bad ). There is no such terms as a homeschooling or home based education in Turkish legal documents so its very difficult to find legal grounds which would allow you to homeschool, and its pointless to start discussion about this topic with any Turks (teachers, lawers) they just do not understand why we need this. At least this was my experience so far :)