Post subject: Scooters Mopeds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 pm 

Anyone use a Moped/Scooter. Ten years ago when I lived here...I had a my motorcycle. It was too big. 1000cc dual sport. Looking for something to putt around town.....not alsancak. Do all scooters/mopeds require insurance/registration? Some US states look at bikes under 50cc as a bicycle and just require basic registration, with no license. Anything like that here? Dont want to spent a ton of cash but would like something that can keep up with traffic.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Scooters Mopeds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm 

Up to 50cc you can drive on your foreign car license IF your own country allows it. Anything over 50cc needs a motorbike license. Up to 99cc no road tax. You need tax for any bike/scooter over 99cc & basic Trafic Sigorta for all cc's of scooter. TUV [MOT] test is every 2 yers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 pm 

So all i will need is insurance and MOT on 50cc and below bike?? Will I need a new MOT when I transfer it or just when it expires?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:05 pm 

As it expires ryan. If buying new ,it's 3 years till first MOT. If buying 2nd hand you will need to negotiate with the seller who is paying the Noters fees.You will need the services of a legal translator,& finally if the scooter is on Turkish plates,you will need to get it onto 'M' plates within 30 days.Your translator should be able to tell you where to go to re register & get your plates made in your area. Sounds complicated,but is all very straight forward.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 pm 

Appreciate the info. Thought M plates were for vehicles brought into the country and could be in country for only 6 months? Guess I dont understand the M plate thing? My wife is Turkish... do I need a translator for something official?

Also if I am reading it correctly. The only difference between the 50cc below and above is the Motorcycle license? If a 50cc moped needs insurances, registration, mot, tax.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 pm 

50cc & below don't need a motorcycle license [providing your countries license law is the same as UK] neither do they require road tax. Up to 99cc requires a license but no road tax. All bikes need Trafic sigorta & MOT. 'M' plates are for foreigners to drive ONLY..it is illegal for any Turkish citizen to drive an 'M' plated car or scooter/motorcycle. Check with your Noter if they will accept your wife as a translator,some will,some may insist on a legal translator.