Post subject: US resident permanently moving to Turkey. Drivers license
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 am 

US resident permanently moving to Turkey. What are my options for drivers license? I have gotten international drivers licenses from AAA in the past but only good for a year. When I was in NATO they gave me a card with my information on it but is expired. Is there a permanent solution?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: US resident permanently moving to Turkey. Drivers license
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:11 pm 

You can get a Turkish driving license, basically it involves hospital visit for blood tests and to see other various doctors,a trip to the tax office & polis station.Takes about one to two days to complete at a cost of around 800tl.You will need a R.P . Also remember that a Turkish car license will not cover you to ride a scooter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:34 pm 

Will I have to take any kind of test? What is RP?......not a big thing right now but what about scooters and motorcycles? Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm 

Ryan,an RP is Residence Permit. No driving test involved,just paperwork,hospital tests translation of your original license and of course money ...haha.As i stated if you get a Turkish car license it does not cover you for scooters etc. you will need a separate license for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:20 am 

Is a scooter/motorcycle license the same? Do you know the process for getting a scooter/motorcycle license?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 pm 

If you don't have a license for a m/cycle on your US license,then you need to get a Turkish one with A2 category.Here in Bodrum myself & the Bodrum UK Consulate representative are going to the Traffic Polis office to get the definitive answer,week commencing the 17th March.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am 

800 lira for driver license.. Residence permit also has costs.. 5 year is about 400 dollars!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 pm 

Just to clarify..... $400 for a 5yr residence permit? Are there any other options short of citizenship?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 pm 

residence permit is a booklet that has dates of your visa expiration. the cost for this booklet is about 100 US dollars but you must have 300 US dollars showing in an acct for each month that you wish to remain in turkey. you can withdraw the money after you have your booklet stamped with visa dates but each time you renew you must go through the same procedure.. not a new booklet until the pages are filled. You will also need a tax registration number even if you do not work and are retired.
these are the words of an american living in turkey for 12 years and they have not changed since I came here.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:48 pm 

tur_unclesam wrote:
residence permit is a booklet that has dates of your visa expiration. the cost for this booklet is about 100 US dollars but you must have 300 US dollars showing in an acct for each month that you wish to remain in turkey. you can withdraw the money after you have your booklet stamped with visa dates but each time you renew you must go through the same procedure.. not a new booklet until the pages are filled. You will also need a tax registration number even if you do not work and are retired.
these are the words of an american living in turkey for 12 years and they have not changed since I came here.

This is now out of date,as new laws came into force from 11th April 2014. All short term Residence Permits are only for one year & health cover is now required.The old Blue Book ha s now gone,in favour of an annual card,this costs 50tl & you'll need to show at least 10,200tl in a Turkish bank account for the one years residency.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:23 pm 

hi all
ty redders for this new info for short term residents.
I am in a different classification as am a permanent resident. We still have the blue book and must have 300US dollars or the equivalent amount in Lira for each month of additional residency. I have governmental health insurance as a permanent resident and pay each month. For each month of new residency i must pay 5.dollars + 25. dollars for the 1st month.
I am sorry if my prior info might have mislead anyone.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:55 am 

I will be in Turkey Permanently. What do I need to do to classified as a permanent resident? Sorry....maybe this should be its own thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:15 pm 

ohh...