Post subject: Cremation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:09 am 

Can anyone please tell me if cremation is acceptable in Turkey... or even available come to that?

Many thanks..

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cremation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 pm 

hello, these people will help you. send them an email too

h r i s t i y a n n e t ( at ) g m a i l (dot) c o m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:45 pm 

cremation is not acceptable in Turkey..and it is illegal..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am 

Some adherents of Islam hold that cremation is contrary to the tenants of that faith; that said, it seems that cremation isn't illegal in Turkey- merely unavailable as a commercial service. By my reading, while allowing for cremation, personally retaining the ashes may be in question. I direct you to the following assessment:

* The tenth item of General Prevention of Health Law dated 24th April 1930 with number 1593 in Turkey, is about cemeteries, burial, exhumation and corpse transport. Articles 224, 225, 226 explain the conditions about the cremation.
* According to article 224, municipality can constitute crematorium with the authorization from Ministry of Health.
* According to article 225, the conditions that require being able to perform a cremation:
* 1- An official report from a doctor revealing that it is not a suspicious death and a burial
authorization.
* 2- Testament from the dead person revealing his/her will or three witnesses about it.
* 3- Document from local police office revealing that the death is not a criminal one.
* These documents should be delivered to the municipality 24 hours before the cremation.
* It is not permitted to disinter for the purpose of cremation.
* According to article 226, remaining ashes should be stored in a division of cemetery with their original container

With that in mind, it might be possible to retain the services of a medical or pet crematorium. I've read that the required period before internment is rather brief- so may prove to be a difficulty; you will need to make arrangements long before need.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 am 

this group organizie cremations in Turkey :9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am 

Thanx, Ice.

I wonder: before posting 'that can't be done here', did either of the Natives even bother asking The Great Google? You're in a position to actually be super helpful- if for no other reason than the utility of finding information in your native language...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:18 am 

No problem Mavi, (Your English is "light years" ahead of mine though!actually on this subject "Cremation in Turkey" i had problems finding current info, then almost by complete chance found this group that help expats in Turkey or even Christian Turks organize cremations here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:50 am 

Thanks all for the info... and yes guys I was very lax in not asking Google first.... I was viewing the forum and the question just came back to me from a conversation I had had and I entered it.

I do apologise. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am 

No, no, no- I meant the 'it can't be done' responses- a fluent Turk might have vastly more luck with a Google search. Receiving incorrect information from a local 'authority'- it would be easy to leave it at that and dismiss the whole endeavor. It's gooooooooood to have the question raised here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:18 pm 

iceman wrote:
this group organizie cremations in Turkey :9

I am the owner of this email and http://www.hristiyan.net website.

WE HAVE NEVER ORGANIZED ANY CREMATION. WE ARE NOT RELATED ABOUT CREMATION.

I don't know who ICEMAN is. I don't know how he can say this.

You can read about us in here: http://www.turkishchristians.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:33 am 

So it seems we're back to the beginning of the discussion. How can someone request a NON-BURIAL deposition of the body after death, here in Turkey.
I DO NOT WANT TO BE BURIED...I'd rather donate my body to medical science than to be put in the ground. What choices do I have? Need to make these decisions while I still have breath!!!

What about shipping the corpse to Greece or Bulgaria where they do have cremation? Probably too expensive, right?

Who knows about these things? As a non-Moslem, I am not even sure that my village will let me be buried in their cemetery. And I'm hours away from the nearest non-Moslem cemetery!

Given a choice, I really want my ashes scattered in the garden.

Hope someone knows the answers, the sand it moving through the hourglass even as I type.