Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:46 am 

Thank you!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:31 am 

Hi Aggies Cat and TP. I would just add that I opened my HSBC Account some 12 months before I moved to Turkey.Also, if you declare yourself a Non Resident in the UK ( Which I have not you do pay UK Tax in my case 10 GBP on a Private UK Pension per month) Bugger all and I still keep my entitlement to free UK Health Care. Worth a Tenner a month I think.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 pm 

Ah Rik, you were a wise man!

Too late now to open a UK HSBC a/c without a UK address and proof thereof.

GBS : yes, that's what we were talking about by "restrictions" - HSBC offshore will even do your transfers free of charge -IF you care to leave £60K with them!

Whether it's still worthwhile being with them and accepting their poor rates would depend firstly on whether you are liable for 40% tax or not: I would guess that most people non-resident here are not in the 40% tax band, so the tax saving is 20%; and also on how often you have money transferred. Maybe those, for instance, on a monthly pension who want it transferred every month would find it was worthwhile. Depends on peoples' individual circumstances.

Re UK non-residents and entitlement to use of the NHS -

the rules say that "visitors from other countries (including British citizens) who need treatment for an emergency condition arising here (ie the UK) can get free treatment at a GP's surgery or the Accident & Emergency section of a hospital only. They will normally have to pay for any other treatment they receive"

But yes, there are lots of people who have been resident a long time, simply don't tell the NHS, and go for treatment in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 pm 

Even within major population centres this holds true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:37 am 

Didn't know that, I've never been in a situation where it arose - doesn't surprise me though.

Presumably though if a foreigner (or an expat Brit, come to that) turned up looking for treatment for something that very obviously wasn't an emergency or they'd had for a while, the NHS would either not give them treatment or would work out how to charge them for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:46 am 

Hi all,

Just to return to the original topic of transfering money from the UK to Turkey, have just met with HSBC in UK to try to find a bank who will organise regular payments from a UK account to Turkish. Plan being to move later this year, and want pension payments moved to Turkey.

HSBC have offered to set up a mandate to send approx £6-700 per month automatically to my Turkish HSBC account for £9-00. No lengthy phone calls or posting forms.

Seems a reasonable way to go: just like a standing order.

Does anyone else have experience of this route: seems too easy.

Boabnmay

Post subject: Re: Transfering money from UK to Turkey
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:59 pm 

I always use HiFX to transfer money and they do not charge a penny, you just need to set up a trading account and it's free.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:22 am 

Hi I am with Nat West in England can anyone advise on easiest on cheapest way to transfer money direct from the bank to Turkey Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:23 am 

HSBC is best way to transfer money...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:33 pm 

Whenever you send money to Turkey, you are charged with a flat upfront fee which is normal. What isn’t normal is the ridiculous exchange rates they charge you behind the scenes. Some banks and money transfer services may claim to be ‘commission free’ or having “zero charges” upfront but make it up with ridiculous exchange rates.

For example, if you are sending $1000 from the UK to Turkey and you use Travelex, there is a 0 upfront charges but then more than make up the difference with a $130 hidden conversion cost. So an honest upfront cost of $10 makes a better pricing structure if it has zero hidden cost, such as TransferWise.