Post subject: British man divorcing a Turkish woman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:41 pm 

Hi I'm looking for some advice regarding my current situation!
I've read many threads on forums relating to foreign women divorcing Turkish men but can't seem to find much information about foreign men divorcing Turkish women.
I am from the UK and my wife is a Turkish national, we were married 6 years ago in Istanbul. My wife has a UK resident permit and we have 2 kids aged 5 and 2 who both have British passports and Turkish national ID cards. We have a house in Marmaris where we currently reside although I am still registered as living in the UK for tax purposes.

Unfortunately our marriage appears to be breaking down and although I'm hoping for an amicable separation, I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what rights I have. I'm happy for her to have the house as she has given up her career to devote her time to bringing up the children and I respect her for the wonderful job she has done.
What concerns me is my rights regarding the children.
We agreed that they would go to an international school as they would learn Turkish and English language and also there isn't any religious teachings of any sort at the school they currently attend. (We have always said that religion would not be a factor in our relationship or the way our children were brought up). We also agreed that after they had finished primary school we would return to the UK so that they would attend a British high school.
Now that we are divorcing she wants to move back to Istanbul and put the children into a state school.

Given the current political climate in Turkey and the increased terror threat in Istanbul I'm extremely worried about my children being raised by a single mother living alone with them. I would have very little influence on what they were taught and also would not be there to protect them. Although I'm reluctant to take them away from their mother I also fear for their safety and wellbeing and would much prefer them to live in the UK with me.

From what I can gather the Turkish courts would favour my wife in any custody battle as they are both younger than 7 and I don't think the Turkish courts would share my view of Istanbul not being a safe place to live!

If anyone has any advice on how I can get custody of my children I would really appreciate some help!!

Thanks in advance

Profile Send private message E-mail