Post subject: Homeschool
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:52 pm 

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this, i saw it on google once, and since i have a problem and i live in turkey i was wonderin if you guys could help me. i'm 14 years and American. Both my parents are turkish. I have lived in america all my life, but this year my mom wanted to move to turkey. I didn't want to, but of course i had to come along. I don't know any turkish, and my mom placed me on a normal school with turkish childeren. I want to be homeschooled really badly, but my mom doesn't want to hear it or talk about it with me. I refuse to learn turkish till my mom puts me on homeschool cause she never listens to me and i don't want to listen to her. I have an english friend at school, she's from england. She's getting homeschooled in February. So I asked her if her mom could convince my mom to homeschool me, but she said that homeschool was illegal in turkey. is this true? I've read some other forums and some of you homeschooled your kids. How do you do that? And how do I make it clear to my mother? please can some one help me with this??

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Homeschool
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 pm 

Which countries do you have citizenship in?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:16 am 

Hi KayleeAngel

Unfortunately I can't give you advice regarding Homeschooling however I couldn't resist to reply to your post. The reason is simple, I've gone through what you've been going through right now. I'm 40 and I was born in Germany, both my parents are Turkish. I was attending German schools and could barely speak Turkish. When I was 14 my parents decided to go back to Turkey as well. That was in 1982 and believe me Turkey then was not the Turkey you are living in right now. I started at a ordinary Turkish Lise. I struggled a lot with the language, culture, teachers, lessons. It was very overwhelming, however within a year I pretty much adapted myself to everything despite having domestic problems and being in puberty. I have to give the Turkish people credit, they helped me a lot to overcome a lot of my problems. I made good friends and lived all my life in Turkey happily. I am proud to be Turkish (ne mutlu Turkum diyene).
You say that you are American, I would say that you are Turkish, you just don't know it yet, because you haven't had the chance to live in Turkey and know the Turkish culture and people. Believe me (and I speak from experience) after a year or so you will feel much better and be more Turkish. Just have some patience. Trust your mum, mums always want the best for their children. Talk with your family, don't break up communication.
As for me, I am married with a Turkish woman and we currently live in the UK since 8 years. My daughter is 8 and was born in England, and I am planning to go back to Turkey when she is about 12-13 years old. Deja Vu.

Good luck
Ilhan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:43 pm 

I have citizenship in Turkey....My mother did that for me.....and erdilo: maybe I will feel like that over time, but now if i could, i would run back to the united states and stay there 4 ever. I hate going to a turkish school when i don't even know the language, and language is very hard for me. I'm not a great learner, you see. And it's just horrible if other kids talk about you at school, and you have absolutely no idea what they are even saying. I am so bore at school, cause all the lessons are in turkish. Is homeschool Illegal in turkey?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:09 pm 

I just found out from a website that Homeschooling is not legal in Turkey I'm afraid.
I was called names and a lot of children laughed at me because I couldn't speak the language, but I never got bullied, it was just "being different" and sometimes that can be a positive thing. You must be finding it very hard to get through the day without talking to someone or having friends. I really think that it is not fair to put you to a purely Turkish speaking school. I really have emphaty. Can't you talk to your mum and convince her to change your school. There are many many schools out there where English is the main spoken and academic language and all students can speak both languages.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:23 pm 

Hi KayleeAngel,

Ahh I feel for you, I'd give the Turkish school a chance though. As erdilo said you'll probably pick up the language in time, I expect once you start to speak it then the kids around you will encourage you and help you learn. It can be very intimidating and uncomfortable when, as now, you don't know what they are saying and if they are talking about you.

Don't fall out with your Mum about this. Talk to her and say you'll give it a go, especially until your English friend goes into homeschooling. Then, if by then you still feel how you do now, maybe take your Mum to one side and say how unhappy you are. Again as erdilo says you may have a more international school close enough that you could change to.

In the meantime, your parents could maybe get you a Turkish tutor for a couple of hours a week to help you get started. Remember that once you've got the high school bit out the way you'll have more choice in higher education.

Best of luck and keep us posted! Chin up and keep smiling!!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 pm 

BTW you can find more information about schools etc. on this forums "Education" section.

http://www(dot)merhabaforums(dot)com/educational-topics-f15/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:47 am 

Melissa wrote:
It's a free country to come in, and leave as one's wishes.

Passport fees are excessive... makes travel for some- in a country where the median income is 600 YTL a month -prohibitive. Freedom isn't free- it costs a-buck-o'five...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 am 

Am I the only one who smells a troll in this? It can't just be me, can it?

But having siad that, I'm gonna feed the troll anyway. "Homeschool" is only "illegal" up to the age of mandatory attendance, which is what, 8th grade? There is "açık lise" for those who can't/don't want to/can't afford to go to lise, so there is something of a homeschool possibility. Once the student is past the age of obligation, then it's a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:24 pm 

kaylee,
Bear in mind the fact that home-schooling basically means that your mum will be your teacher. It sounds like you don't get on with her too well right now - do you want her teaching you 6 hours per day?

Also look into Anatolian high schools. I don't know how hard it is to get into them, but they are schools which are state schools, but the language of instruction is English. At least if you're studying there, you'll understand the lessons - although break time will still be hard work.

Most people learn a second language very easily when they are children. However, you are not a child any longer. Lots of teenagers still find it easy to pick up a second language - but you might be one of the ones who is coming to it too late.

I think the best thing for you would be to work as hard as you can to try to learn the language for this school year (it's one of the last years when you'll still, hopefully, find it "easier") and make plans to go to Anatolian high school next year.

Also, make SURE your mum gets you into some after-school activities. It's much easier to pick up Turkish when you are "doing" something more focused like learning karate or photography.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm 

Wow it's been 10 years since the last update on this topic. That's a very long time so hopefully things have improved for you, and I'm very curious on how things are now.