Post subject: Warning to women in Selcuk - beware the free shuttle
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:01 pm 

I wasn't going to write anything about this anywhere, until I read some reviews on tripadvisor that address the same person and a similar issue with this person. I think people, especially women, need to be aware of these guys in Selcuk. After some internet research, I see they have quite a reputation.

While in Selcuk I stayed at a hotel that offered me a 'free shuttle' ride to Ephesus. I knew this was common in Turkey, not just Selcuk, for hotels to offer rides to their customers, either to get more business for themselves or to make a commission off whatever the driver of the free shuttle sells. But I wanted to go to the top gate of Ephesus and walk down, and the minibus from the bus station only goes to the bottom gate. It was pretty hot, so I thought I would risk it and take the free shuttle rather than paying 15 or 25 lyra to go to the top gate in a taxi.

So I was told to go to the carpet shop by Garanti Bank and tell the guys working there which hotel I was from. Carpet shop. Hmmm. I didn't want to spend half my day in a carpet shop. I wanted to get to Ephesus before it got too hot. But I went and the young guy outside said the hotel had already called and that ???? had already gone to get the car. Good sign. So ???? honks the horn and the young guy tells me that's my ride. Wow. Great. I didn't even have to go inside the carpet shop or have many cups of tea! So I hopped in the front seat with ???? and off we went. So I think everything is just great and ???? seems nice enough, friendly, asks the usual questions a woman traveling alone in Turkey gets, and then he tells me he will be happy to pick me up at the bottom gate and bring me back to my hotel. I decline and say I will get the mini bus. Then I don't have to feel rushed. He said okay and that he hoped I would stop by his carpet shop later.

Until this point, everything was fine. But when I responded that I would try to stop by but that a carpet wasn't really in my budget, he tried a different tactic. He asked me to have dinner with him and his brother and friends on their terrace. Said they were having a bbq and I'd be welcome. I asked what time and then said maybe. He smiled his best smile and turned his puppy dog eyes on me and said he would really like to see me again and thought I would really enjoy dinner on the terrace. Whatever. I said maybe, thanked him, and got out. He waved goodbye.

No problem, right? Well, later in the afternoon, without realizing where I was, I was approached by a guy with a ponytail who was really chatting me up. His name is Marco. I couldn't get away from him politely and I started looking around. Garanti Bank. This guy with the ponytail was the owner of the carpet shop called Nomadic Art Gallery and he was smarmy and sleazy, I have to say. And thought quite highly of himself. I told him I had to go but made the mistake of saying that ???? had given me a ride to Ephesus that morning. Then he tried to get me to come inside and take a look at carpets. I excused myself and said I had to go.

Later in the evening I was at a bar just down the street from Nomadic Art Gallery. Here comes ???? He stopped, smiled his cheesy grin, and asked my why I didn't come to the shop. I avoided the question and asked him how his bbq was and did he have a lot of people there. He said, no lie, 'What bbq?' Then proceeded to sit down with me and try to hit on me mercilessly. He said, "I think I have 50% of your heart. I hope I can get 100%." I told him he was a big zero and asked him to leave. He got angry and left. He seemed, like his brother, to also think very highly of himself. But he did leave.

After he left I met 3 female students who were traveling and they had seen him with me. They asked if I was with him and I said no, that I didn't even remember his name - maybe Enes? Enis? something like that. They said they had an issue with him hitting on them as well, and the brother did also, and that he was very persistent. After a bit of research at my hotel, and reading some reviews on trip advisor, I find out this guy has quite a reputation of harassing women that take his 'free shuttle' and that I got off quite easily!

So that's my long story. These two brothers are from eastern Turkey and they are just smarmy and fake in my opinion. They have a reputation for simply wanting sex, money, or both, from the women they meet. So ladies traveling to Selcuk, avoid the free shuttles and take the mini bus. I will definitely avoid Nomadic Art Gallery if I go back to Selcuk. I know this kind of thing happens all over the tourist areas of Turkey. I've traveled there many times, all over Turkey. I've been hit on many times. But these two just seemed particularly sleazy and annoying. Yelch!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Warning to women in Selcuk - beware the free shuttle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 am 

I have always said that this kind of people who live on the fringe of the touristic industry in Turkey will eventually kill the gooze that lays the golden egg. Admittedly the majority of the turkish people are honest, friendly, helpful and really, really respectful towards foreigners and tourists but it is those few who pry on strangers that you have to be very very careful with. When in Turkey please keep all your senses working at full gear. Don't send them on holiday too. Don't trust anyone that approach you with sweet talk ! especially be careful when in the country alone. For women don't ever hitch hike or accept free rides from strangers. Always check your bills and changes in hotels and restaurants, When shopping always shop around and always bargin. When exchanging money always look for the exchange shop that is giving best rates and remember best rates are offered in Bayazit area in Istanbul but also the prices in the shops are exaggerated in this area. So bargin, pargin. Otherwise Turkey is a beautiful place with a fantastic history and awsome places to visit and quite safe really if use some common sense and take a few precautions which normally do anywhere.

Post subject: Re: Warning to women in Selcuk - beware the free shuttle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm 

Thank you Jamil. I agree with everything you said. I've been to Turkey several times and I always try to keep my wits about me, especially since I usually travel alone. Thank you for your comments.

Last bumped by toosahn on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm.