Post subject: Sooo what's the deal with health insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 am 

I lived in Turkey for about a year and a half and am now looking to move back. I've read that there's a new-ish requirement that foreigners must have Turkish health insurance before applying for a residence permit.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Still true? (I came across one article claiming this requirement was struck down in August). If so, any recommendations for companies that will provide health insurance for people such as me who are not yet residents? Could anyone give me a rough estimate of what I'd be looking at per month? I'm 26 and single, no kids.

Thanks!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sooo what's the deal with health insurance?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:52 pm 

For all applicants under 65 years of age,full health cover is required.Just call into some insurance brokers and ask about cover for Yabanci 's Ikamet.The majority now know what is required.No one here can estimate price as it depends on your health status.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:57 am 

My daughter recently enrolled in the gov't insurance program. It's great! She's paying less than TL90 a month through Gunes Insurance. I'm retired here so my medical insurance is equally as good, if not better! If I still lived back in the US, I probably couldn't afford to have medical insurance (former cancer patient...more than 28 years
post-surgery. I was told that it would be difficult for me to get coverage in the US!!)
There are different plans available here and at different rates. Go talk to an agent. It won't cost anything to get the information you require.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 pm 

Stoneowl,the Government insurance is called SGK and is 272tl a month,i think your daughter is using a private health cover if with Gunes Sigorta.But remember as with all the private policies,the cover is extremely limited in the first 12 months. You may get consultations free,but you may well find you are not covered for much else until year two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 pm 

" a rose by any other name..."
Since she's always been covered by medical insurance here, it's possible that there's an 'overlap' with the new policy. But, I will check to see if what you say is accurate. In which case, we will keep our fingers crossed that nothing happens the first year!

the point is, she has medical insurance coverage that the gov't requires foreigners to have. Her other private medical coverage cost her almost TL 3,000/year. She worked for 2 years and was covered by SGK but when she lost her job, and the SGK. I am covered by SGK because of my retirement. It's very good coverage especially now because so many private facilities are accepting it. Whatever it's called, the insurance is far better than anything either of us could have had in the US. Fortunately, she's young and healthy. Hope she never needs to use it!