Post subject: affordable international schools in istanbul...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 pm 

Hi

I'm currently searching for an affordable international highschool in istanbul.
So far, all I have found strangely appear to be extremely expensive!!!
Does anyone out there know of any affordable schools because judging from the fees I've been looking at, you would have to be a millionaire to afford them!
:?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: affordable international schools in istanbul...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 am 

The international high schools' fee here, are between 20,000$ to 30,000$ so, yes it's quite expensive, but that's all that's available unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am 

Bare in mind there seems to be very wide variance in what you get for your money. The British International School Istanbul gives the appearance that it is run very much as a profitable business and the teaching quality, equipment and extra activities are much lower priority.

I don't have experience (yet) of the other schools but I hope the not for profit schools will be better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:59 pm 

There are three chain of schools that offer English and Turkish. They are Fatih Colleges (European side), Anafen Colleges (Asian side) and and Coşkun College (Asian side). They are reasonable and a lot cheaper than the previous schools mentioned. I plan to send my daughter to one of these soon. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 am 

Hi Arizona,

do these schools actually teach in english, or is it just a second language?

Thank you,
Dina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:01 am 

Keystone school teach in englısh (Asian sıde) and California curriculum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:55 am 

Can you please provide the links for these three affordable schools? I am unable to look them up.

And how much as the fees to expect?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm 

I do not know if anyone still requires this information. However I have spent the last week visiting international schools in Istanbul with my son. MY opinion is as follows:

Keystone International: Not sure what they are about. They claim to follow an US based curriculum but they openly admitted altering the curriculum to serve their students's needs. I am not really familiar with the US related accreditation systems and my research only left me with more confusion. No one has actually graduated from the school yet (no year 11 and 12s yet - Year 7 and 8s, and Year 9 and 10s are actually thought together) and no one was able to answer where students destination would be and which exams they would be preparing them for. School itself looks quite small. There was a mixture of foreign and Turkish kids. Location is very nice. Brand new premises. Not all the buildings were occupied. School is on the Asian side.

Istanbul International: Spread over 3 sites. We visited 2 of the sites. All on Asian side and very close to each other. Again relatively small school. They "follow" Cambridge International Curriculum. Students study towards IGCSE's and A-levels (only school in Istanbul actually offering A levels) . But this is where I got confused. It seems they pick and choose what they want to do. IGCSE was almost optional. Some did one, some did none and a few did more than one!!! No idea how they would progress to A levels. They also had a combined Year 11 and 12 due to lack of numbers. However there were plenty of students coming up from lower years so I presume they will have normal classes in the future. One thing I liked about this school was the fact that they mixed International school students with their Turkish Independent school for certain subjects like music and arts. Kids eat together and has a chance to spend time together. I for one would be very happy if my son would make Turkish friends during our stay and hopefully pick the language.

British International School: This from their website is the most British school of them all (yes, I know the name is a giveaway). They offer IGCSEs and then IB in Y12 and Y13. Now the school although is the most beautiful of them all (premises) it is FAR FAR away. If you are planning to live on the Asian side I would think the daily commute would take anywhere between 1.5 to 2 hours EACH WAY under NORMAL traffic conditions. They offer most subjects for IGSCEs. Another unique thing at this school is they offer Turkish lessons and they are compulsory. I have no idea what level the kids reach but others offer this (if they do) as an after school club.

MEF International: Very big school. Around 500 international students (biggest in Istanbul????) and almost 2000 at the Turkish one. Both schools share the campus which is very close to 1st Bridge. Again IGCSEs (they only offer 4) followed by IB. They see themselves on a par with British International...Funny enough the feeling is mutual..certainly on fees!

So what do I think? Came back even more confused after our visit. All schools are Turkish owned. And none are from an educational background (a partner at Istanbul international is a Scottish teacher). They do not have much history (25 years at best). There is Istanbul international Community School which had been established much longer but it is literally on the other side of Istanbul (wherever you live) and ridiculously expensive so I didn’t visit. Fee wise, if you are getting an expat package, great. Otherwise last 2 schools charge almost £18000 per year ( this is if you pay in advance rather than installments). First 2 schools are 1/3 of this amount. Apart from Keystone all 3 follow Cambridge International curriculum and offer checkpoints in Y7 and 8. Question is, are the last two schools provide an education 3 times better? As a person who had been involved in education for the last 20 years I would say highly unlikely. At British International you could see where the money is going when you look at the premises and the equipment especially in ICT rooms. At MEF International frankly I wasn't impressed with what $27000 gets you.

As I said at the beginning, these are MY observations and MY opinion. We still need to move to Istanbul and we still need to make a decision. A decision which I am still struggling with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:00 am 

Hey, i was a student in IICS and i have friends that go to MEF.

Its funny how we both said we wish to go to the other school and how bad the one we are in is.
As for IICS i can say that they are currently overloaded with students. They start4ed using the library for the primary classes due to not having enough classes. The senior classes consist of roughly 25 students and can be more in popular classes and less in other classes.
The teacher to student relations are very good, however personally i believe the school is no where worth paying 30,000 $ compared to my old schools. but then again it probably is one of the top ones in istanbul.
Also i lived in alkent close to the school, my friends living at the centre of istnabul would usually have a lovely 2-3 hour bus rides every afternoon. mornings were roughly 1 and half hour.
Graduated there 2013

hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:42 pm 

Hello all,

I was a teacher in Keystone International School during the school year (2014-2015) and I write this to warn all the parents or teachers who may be thinking about signing their children up in the school or working there.
Keystone is a school which could seem very different from what it really is. When you know it at first it gives you a very good impression, but when you work in there and see its inside your opinion changes dramaticaly.

Firstly, I must say that the school doesn't provide the students with a good education. There were many teachers who did an excelent job, of course, but there were also many who only cared about taking pictures of their lessons, going on trips, playing games in the garden and singing songs. I had the feeling that most of the times the children were in a kindergarden more than in a primary school. I was actually told by the owner that she didn't like my way of teaching because she wanted the students to be mostly playing, singing and acting...

Apart from that, it is important to know how the owner cares about their employees. Theoretically, the school has to provide the employees with the residency and working permits. But they never did it for me (as well as with other colleagues), and I had to be working there illegaly for the full year.
The owner also tried to avoid paying me and other teachers the summer months, which correspond to all the teachers according to the contract. She only accepted to pay it when we told her that we would suit her.

This is only a small part of everything that had been happening at Keystone School during the school year 2014-2015. Other teachers have had very similar stories to mine. So, if you have been offered a position to work with them I seriously invite you to reconsider it. If you are thinking of signing your children up at the school, I am sure that you can find a better place with a professional owner and professional teachers who care about a quality education for real life, and not only about money and image.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:45 pm 

See [code<a href="http://bisiparents.org/">Bisiparents.org</a>][/code] to read what the parents there think of the British International School Istanbul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:04 am 

Great schools in istanbu :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:00 pm 

Victoria 123
I am now doing a similar search like the one you did a few years ago. I was wondering if you found any schools that taught mainly in English and that they were reasonably priced.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 pm 

rbos45 wrote:
I do not know if anyone still requires this information. However I have spent the last week visiting international schools in Istanbul with my son. MY opinion is as follows:

Keystone International: Not sure what they are about. They claim to follow an US based curriculum but they openly admitted altering the curriculum to serve their students's needs. I am not really familiar with the US related accreditation systems and my research only left me with more confusion. No one has actually graduated from the school yet (no year 11 and 12s yet - Year 7 and 8s, and Year 9 and 10s are actually thought together) and no one was able to answer where students destination would be and which exams they would be preparing them for. School itself looks quite small. There was a mixture of foreign and Turkish kids. Location is very nice. Brand new premises. Not all the buildings were occupied. School is on the Asian side.

Istanbul International: Spread over 3 sites. We visited 2 of the sites. All on Asian side and very close to each other. Again relatively small school. They "follow" Cambridge International Curriculum. Students study towards IGCSE's and A-levels (only school in Istanbul actually offering A levels) . But this is where I got confused. It seems they pick and choose what they want to do. IGCSE was almost optional. Some did one, some did none and a few did more than one!!! No idea how they would progress to A levels. They also had a combined Year 11 and 12 due to lack of numbers. However there were plenty of students coming up from lower years so I presume they will have normal classes in the future. One thing I liked about this school was the fact that they mixed International school students with their Turkish Independent school for certain subjects like music and arts. Kids eat together and has a chance to spend time together. I for one would be very happy if my son would make Turkish friends during our stay and hopefully pick the language.

British International School: This from their website is the most British school of them all (yes, I know the name is a giveaway). They offer IGCSEs and then IB in Y12 and Y13. Now the school although is the most beautiful of them all (premises) it is FAR FAR away. If you are planning to live on the Asian side I would think the daily commute would take anywhere between 1.5 to 2 hours EACH WAY under NORMAL traffic conditions. They offer most subjects for IGSCEs. Another unique thing at this school is they offer Turkish lessons and they are compulsory. I have no idea what level the kids reach but others offer this (if they do) as an after school club.

MEF International: Very big school. Around 500 international students (biggest in Istanbul????) and almost 2000 at the Turkish one. Both schools share the campus which is very close to 1st Bridge. Again IGCSEs (they only offer 4) followed by IB. They see themselves on a par with British International...Funny enough the feeling is mutual..certainly on fees!

So what do I think? Came back even more confused after our visit. All schools are Turkish owned. And none are from an educational background (a partner at Istanbul international is a Scottish teacher). They do not have much history (25 years at best). There is Istanbul international Community School which had been established much longer but it is literally on the other side of Istanbul (wherever you live) and ridiculously expensive so I didn’t visit. Fee wise, if you are getting an expat package, great. Otherwise last 2 schools charge almost £18000 per year ( this is if you pay in advance rather than installments). First 2 schools are 1/3 of this amount. Apart from Keystone all 3 follow Cambridge International curriculum and offer checkpoints in Y7 and 8. Question is, are the last two schools provide an education 3 times better? As a person who had been involved in education for the last 20 years I would say highly unlikely. At British International you could see where the money is going when you look at the premises and the equipment especially in ICT rooms. At MEF International frankly I wasn't impressed with what $27000 gets you.

As I said at the beginning, these are MY observations and MY opinion. We still need to move to Istanbul and we still need to make a decision. A decision which I am still struggling with.

I am doing a similar search for my 9 year old daughter. Some of the schools you mention they are out of my budget. I was wondering if you knew anything about the following schools: Aka Koleji, Noble Bridges School and Eyüboğlu Educational Institutions Kemerburgaz Campus. Do you know any other international schools that might be cheaper? Thank you!

Post subject: Affordable international schools in istanbul...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am 

Thank you so much guide of everyone. :) :x :shock: :roll: