Post subject: How to find English teacher jobs?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 am 

Hello everybody!

I would like to get some tips on how to find English teaching jobs in Istanbul? I am originally from Sweden, I see in most of the ads that native English speakers are asked for. What is the best way to find a language teaching job for non-native speakers?

I am highly skilled in English, I speak and write fluently. I do also have a lot of teaching experience, and a bachelor degree in Dance pedagogy.

Best regards,
Siri

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to find English teacher jobs?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 am 

Hi Piiri

There is no special short cut for non-native speakers as there is no easy way for native speakers to find a teaching job in Istanbul. If you have a degree in English, a recognised teaching qualification and have teaching experience you can apply on that basis to schools and universities (I have worked with Swedish and Finnish teachers of English with MA's in English Teaching both from their home counties and the UK who got work/work permit without a problem).

If you do not have this background, you are going to find it difficult to get a job in a language school or in a regular school and are unlikely to get a work permit (because you do not qualify for one) so you will be taken advantage of by the school if you do get work, perhaps not paid and deported if you are caught = not worth it.

You might be better off focussing on your Dance qualfications for an International School and offering English as support.

Profile Send private message E-mail