Post subject: Need to transfer from Turkey to USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:23 pm 

I've been getting paid in cash for months now, and I need to (somehow) get my cash back to the US. I have an HSBC account, but I honestly can't figure out if I can transfer money. Other people with HSBC accounts tell me I can, and they've done so - but every time I go to the HSBC branch at Galatasaray they put me with this girl whose English isn't really advanced enough to answer my questions, although she seems to be telling me that money transfers are impossible. I think this seems unlikely but anyways....ideas? I have about 7000 in cash, YTL, that somehow needs to get itself to the USA. Ideas?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need to transfer from Turkey to USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:44 am 

We solve this problem by having a Turkish Citibank account and a Bank of America account here in the US. We (or family members in Turkey) deposit cash at the Citibank in Izmir. Then, in the US, we can withdraw the money from an ATM. Our account only charges $2 for each withdrawal. Then we deposit the cash into our American account.
This is much easier and cheaper than trying to transfer. I would recommend this method if you have someone at home who is willing to withdraw and deposit the cash for you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:52 pm 

kosta

go to any branch of your bank,
tell them that you want to make money transfer ( in turkish para transferi ),
write the receivers name and surname plus bank details on paper ( dont forget the amount you want to send ),
also on same paper write ULUSLARARASI TRANSFER ( which means International Transfer ),
when its your turn just give that paper to worker.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:54 pm 

Kosta,

Be warned that there will be fees adjusted according to the amount that you wish to transfer.

If you are working with Akbank, I do not recommend the honesty of the branch at Sabanci University. The branch manager agreed to a pre-negotiated amount, when I was initially shopping around for the most cost-effective way to manage this transaction. However, when the money was actually transferred, he pretended that we'd agreed to a higher amount. He wouldn't commit in writing, and this transaction was negotiated in Turkish, but I brought a Turkish native speaker along for the negotiation, just in case. In the end, the branch manager sold his honor for a measly $30.

I've heard that Is Bankasi has worked better for someone else, so I will investigate this option in the coming months.

Good luck.
co