Post subject: Moving with a pet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:48 am 

I may be moving to Istanbul next year, but I have a cat and dont want to leave her in the US. What must I do to bring her with me?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving with a pet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 pm 

You should consult with the airline that you will be flying with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 am 

Hello - I just came back with my cat from Canada. I had to get an International Health Certificate from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (they also deal with animals). You'll have to request this form from a similar agency with the US government. Then you have to have this form filled out (in BLUE ink) from your veternarian and sent back to that government agency to be stamped and approved. The cat must have all its vaccinations within 1 month of departure and should be microchipped. The government agency can also tell you what else is required from your when importing an animal from the US.
I flew with Lufthansa and they charged $100CAD for my cat. She flew in the cabin with me in a special carrier designed to fit under the seat in front of me. You have to call your airline 2 weeks in advance to confirm your pet. If you have a layover in another country you may require other forms as well - your airline can advise you of that as well.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:49 pm 

Hi Anita,

I know how frustrating and stressful it can be trying to travel with an animal. I travel with my 20lb dog all the time and have spent many hours scouring the Internet for this kind of travel advice.

I am currently in Istanbul for a one month holiday and did not consider leaving my dog behind. Here is what I had to do to bring him with me. This is my first international trip with him and I won't be going home for another week or so, so unfortunately I can't give any advice on re-entry into the US.

First, there is no quarantine for animal coming into Turkey from the US. Secondly contact your accredited vet and tell them you will be traveling to Turkey and can they give you the phone number to the closest USDA office. (I live in Los Angeles so if you are in the LA area I can pass the info on to you.) The USDA rep will email you the correct international forms that will need to be filled out by your vet. All of this paperwork needs to be filled out by the vet and stamped by the USDA office (vet fees can be anywhere from $100-200 for the forms and the USDA fee was $38 if I remember correctly) within 10 days of travel.

Make sure the airline you are flying with allows small animals in cabin. Often there is a limit to how many animals can travel per flight due to safety and allergy reasons. Then make sure your pet's carrier is the allowable dimensions for that particular airline. I use a soft sided large size carrier (like the Sherpa brand) for my dog because it can squish a little if need be. Let the airline know you will be traveling with your cat. Generally they do charge a fee for this (extremely frustrating because an animal does not take up any additional space and never screams at the top of its lungs for the duration of the flight like the children that fly for free...I digress).

When I checked in (I flew Turkish Air) they made a photocopy of my documents and that was all. No one checked anything when I got to Turkey, there wasn't anyone who was there to even look at any paperwork so off I went.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

PS going through security....you will have to put your carrier through the X-ray machine. Take your cat out, remove it's collar and carry it through with you. Likely they will have to wipe your hands to test for explosive elements. This is all normal. This is what I always have to do with my dog. Just tell security you have a cat and usually they are nice and accomodating and will help you.