Post subject: Recommended tefl-online courses?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am 

Hi!

I am moving from Stockholm to Istanbul in mid-october, planning on finding english-teacher jobs. I have understood that getting a tefl-certificate of some sort is highly recommended (especially for us non-native speakers), but when googling online courses I am slowly getting completely mad since it seems to be a complete tesol/tefl/celta-jungle out there. Too many alternatives, impossible to know how to know if a school is trust-worthy or just fake...

Please, could someone living in Istanbul and working as an english-teacher, with experience from the tefl-jungle, please give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Recommended tefl-online courses?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm 

Hello Piiri
I strongly advise you to either study for the Cambridge CELTA or Trinity College TEFL certificate. The courses for a basic English teaching certificate used to be three months and are quite expensive but well worth it. The British Council in Istanbul runs English language teaching courses for CELTA not sure about TEFL. If successful you will have a qualification that is recognised worldwide.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:17 am 

Thank you for reply!

An expensive 3 monthscourse would be a very big step, since I have never worked as an English teacher, I don't know if I like it or not... It would feel a bit more safe to start with a short, basic course in order to get an introduction. Do you think it is possible finding a good job with a more basic kind of tefl-cert?

A friend of mine recommended an online course from teflinstitute.com in chicago, she just got a job in Turkey with the tefl-certificate from them. Have you heard of this place? It is so hard with all these thousands of courses out there... but she was very pleased with them anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:55 pm 

As you say there are so many TEFL on-line courses being offered, a lot of them are not worth the paper they're written on, I don't recall the course you mentioned. I work for a UK based English teacher recruitment company and the establishments we deal with would only look at the Cambridge or Trinity certificates as the very minimum qualification. Would you want to pay big bucks to be taught or for your child to be taught by someone whose only experience is an on-line course? Having said that it is a lot of money to pay for something you may not want to pursue and if your friend was satisfied with the course and got a teaching job that she was happy with then go for it, you can always improve your qualifications if you decide it's something that you want to make a career of. I suggest you contact language schools to see what qualifications they require. I do believe the better qualified you are the better you'll be treated especially as a non-native speaker; also for your own confidence it's not easy facing a class of students.

Anyway good luck, let me know how you get on and if you need anymore help.

Jane